Ok I am probably messing up trying to do this but.....

Poolidiot

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2007
Texas
When I went to open my pool this year I ended up having a HOLE in the liner and it quickly drained my pool. I got the number of a guy that installs liners for ABG pools (guess he is the only one in town, every pool store gave me his name and number). Any way I talked to him and he was going to call me back in a couple hours when he finished with what he was doing. So that was a week ago and no return call and can not get him to answer his phone and his mail box is full.
So now I have decided to tackle this project myself. I have been reading and watching videos on how to do this. I am replacing the liner, skimmer, return eye adding gorilla padding under liner and adding cove. I think I have most everything figured out except for a couple things:

1. Do I really need to reroll the sand base if it is still level?

2. When I do this project I have to get in the pool, so how do you actually get in and out of the pool? Would not think you would want the ladder down on the floor of the pool making impressions in the sand.

Any advise before I get started? Any big DO or Don'ts?

1) You do need to relevel the sand in any places it gets messed up.

2) Just put the ladder in and when you get out you can reach over with a rake, broom and tamp and fix the dimples.

If you use a shop vac to stretch the liner you won't have to be in the pool when installing the liner. You just need to get in to get it unfolded. Then fix the footprints as you come out.

I'm going through the same thing except I'm adding wall foam as well. Good luck in your re-lining project!

Debating whether to get a tamper or rent a yard roller to compact the sand; also wondering if I need a laser level, anyone has any opinions?

The liner should have an install procedure included, just follow how it says to install it.
I did my first one last year, at the very end it was too tight to finish so I had to take it all down and re-read the instructions and sure enough I didn't fully follow the instructions. Once I followed them completely the liner went up.
Even though I had to take it back down it really didn't take all that long, make sure your liner is partially unfolded and sits in the sun for a bit so it becomes easier to install.

Well with help from my son and my wife we replaced my liner today. It took most of the day and besides the 102 degree temps, it was not that bad of a job but I am VERY GLAD it is over. Just have to let it finish filling up and I will be swimming again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Poolidiot said:
Well with help from my son and my wife we replaced my liner today. It took most of the day and besides the 102 degree temps, it was not that bad of a job but I am VERY GLAD it is over. Just have to let it finish filling up and I will be swimming again.
You are gonna have to change your username :mrgreen:

Congrats! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.