Help with cloudy water

May 22, 2009
Hello,
Opened my pool Memorial Day weekend as usual. Have owned the pool for past 3 years and in the past I usually add 4lbs of stabilizer, some chlorine and 3 - 4 days later I can see the bottom. Not so this year. I'm a week in and still cloudy. I added the stabilizer on Day 1 and trying to keep chlorine at shock level. Right now the pool is a cloudy blue. When it was opened it was blackish which is normal for when I open with a loop loc cover. What am I missing?
Here's my #'s with a test strip right now:
TH: 100
TC: can't tell exactly but somewheres between 3 and 10
FC: 3
pH: 6.8
TA: 40
Stabilizer: in the 0 - 40 range (I added 4lbs so believe I'm good there)

I went to a local pool store yesterday and they sold me shock (non-chlorine). That hasn't seemed to change anything. My test is from today after adding 2 gallons last night.

I would say you need to get TA up to about 90-100..Also, your PH is low.Need's to be around 7.5..I would use some baking soda to get the TA up..Your PH will rise a little when you do that.You really need to invest in a good test kit.TF-100 is the best buy.Don't trust the stick's .You really need to go through pool school.You will see a big difference on control of your pool..Other's will be by..

I added the baking soda and another 2.5 gal of chlorine last night. Here are my numbers today:

TC: above 3
FC: 10
ph: 7.8
TA; 120

No difference to the look of the water. We had a warmer than usual winter like most parts. I've been vac'ing it and getting out the algae, leaves, etc as I can without seeing the bottom. Should I be vac'ing to waste? I haven't done that past few days. Other thoughts?

Poolbuoy said:
I added the baking soda and another 2.5 gal of chlorine last night. Here are my numbers today:

TC: above 3
FC: 10
ph: 7.8
TA; 120

No difference to the look of the water. We had a warmer than usual winter like most parts. I've been vac'ing it and getting out the algae, leaves, etc as I can without seeing the bottom. Should I be vac'ing to waste? I haven't done that past few days. Other thoughts?
Hope you order'd the TF-100 kit..Those test strip's are blowing in the wind.I also ? the TC&FC.Doesn't add up..Also wonder what your CYA is really.Till you know your correct #'s it's like fighting a lose battle..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Poolbuoy said:
What I have left in my test kit I was able to get the following:
FC: 5
ph: 7.2
TA: 110

Only option I couldn't test was CYA.

that doesnt help any..
you need to get a full set of number's.You can't figure anything till you do that.CYA is very inportant so them you will know your shock level's it will take to kill everything off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.