Air bubbles and water loss

May 21, 2012
I have been noticing water loss this yr. pool has only been open a couple weeks and its been one thing after another, algae, partial drain, new filter.....now that its all swimable, water loss has been a couple inches every couple days. we live in Pa and haven't had much sun, have had rain and its been to mild to swim in last week( 60s and 70s) and yet still loosing lots of water. also 3 return lines shooting out good size bubbles and sputtering. the pressure on new filter (hayward ec65) doesn't hold steady. it goes up and down from 8/9 to 2/3 every 20 seconds or so. this is our 3rd yr with pool and there is always a problem. the pool was built in very early 80s. there appear to be no leaks around the equipment. I read air bubbles come from suction side so I checked out the skimmer with the pump off and saw hairline cracks around the lip which appears to have been sealed at one point with sealant or putty or something. I put home red dye and the cracks do appear to kinda suck Anthe dye. is this enough to cause this large water loss and large air bubbles. if so what do u seal with to find out? so tired of researching pool issues and tempted to just call someone, but don't want to fork over hundreds of $$. I will try to attach a photo. this pool is Soooo time consuming and no time to deal with it. but adding water every 2-3couple days is not working for us either. please any advice would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• 060612121917.jpg
    060612121917.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 72
Those 2 issues are most likely unrelated. Solve the air bubbles first and then see if it fixes your water loss (It might but I doubt it)

So bubbles in the line is a suction side leak. That's causing your psi to fluctuate and your system is not operating with efficiency.

Somewhere between the skimmers and your pump, air is being sucked into the system when the pump is on. The most common cause is the O-ring that seals the pump basket lid but it could be anything that is leaking air along the path that I mentioned.

Find that air leak and at least half your issues will be over and we'll help you with the other half. :lol:

Those cracks aren't causing the air bubbles to get in. There may be others that we can't see.

Start at the pump and work your way to the skimmer. Pump basket lid seal, drain plugs, valve stems, etc. Also make sure the skimmer isn't creating a vortex when it's running and that the weir is operating freely.

cleaned and lubed the pump o-ring but still bubbles. most smaller ones now and psi isn't fluctuating as much but still some. my husband will have to check the other components you mentioned. the water in skummer is swirly when pump is running. i thought it was suppossed to be? im more concerned about the great water loss though. also u can hear the water "trickling" inside filter, is that normal?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.