New pool owner Bleach question.

Jun 5, 2012
The bleach in the link that you posted is very expensive.

Most people buy bleach from places like wal-mart or the grocery store. For 6% in a 96 oz. jug, somewhere around $1.50 is a reasonable price.

Welcome to TFP! Just FYI

Bleach= Liquid Chlorine. Sodium Hypochlorite is the actual chemical name, and no matter what you call it, Bleach or liquid Chlorinator, it is Chlorine. Buy the freshest you can find and this can be done by getting it anywhere that sells at a high pace like Walmart, other chains, or busy local places. Stay away from buying it at dollar stores, it usually sits there a while in comparison to the other places. Store brand is just as good as anything, and 6% is preferrable. Sometimes to get 6% you have to buy the "ultra" labeled product, but not usually anymore.

kwing01 said:
Thanks. I will shop around and see if i can find cheap bleach or liquid chlorine from local pool store.

Doubt if the pool store is going to be cheaper than the grocery or discount store. Though the pool store may carry 12% and you just have to do the math on cost to see how it compares.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DCAG said:
kwing01 - Seeing that your link was for BJs, and you have a BJ's near you, they sell a case of four, 1 gallon jugs of 12.5% liquid chlorine for $14.

Dan

Really? Could you give me the name? I don't see it in the store and on website too. My BJ is in Colonie NY.

kwing01 said:
DCAG said:
kwing01 - Seeing that your link was for BJs, and you have a BJ's near you, they sell a case of four, 1 gallon jugs of 12.5% liquid chlorine for $14.

Dan

Really? Could you give me the name? I don't see it in the store and on website too. My BJ is in Colonie NY.

They come in a white box with 4 (1 gal) bottles. I believe it says "Liquid Shock" or "Liquid Chlorine". If I still have a box at home I'll take a picture. They usually have it with the rest of the swimming stuff.

I'm just not sure if all stores carry them.

Sams & Costco have Clorox regular (unscented) 6% bleach that comes in a package of 3 182 oz jugs (546 oz total) for about $8.50. The product turnover is usually high, so you are assured of getting a fresh product.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.