Over $200 and counting

ethany

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Trenton NJ
My pool was a swamp this year,but I am into $200 plus in bleach and still shocking. Anyone else put in this amount of bleach? My cya is 45 and shock @18. It's been a week. It is getting better but still losing about 2 ppm per night. Cannot see bottom,cloudy.

$200.00......i wish. $800.00 worth of new water and tons of bleach later- my pool is sparkly now. Well worth all the $$. I would have spent more in chemicals then I have in bleach-last year was very expensive!

Loop loc mesh cover and water was totally balanced when closed. The problem is the mesh covers. I wish I didn't listen to the company who installed our pool,talked us into mesh. I now tell everyone to go solid. Actually the $200 is on the low side,probably more like $300-$350. My neighbor has a solid cover,opens it up,and in 2 days they are swimming.

ethany said:
Loop loc mesh cover and water was totally balanced when closed. The problem is the mesh covers. I wish I didn't listen to the company who installed our pool,talked us into mesh. I now tell everyone to go solid. Actually the $200 is on the low side,probably more like $300-$350. My neighbor has a solid cover,opens it up,and in 2 days they are swimming.
There you go...You know what to get for the coming season..Good luck..

ethany said:

Do you have the Loop Loc or Loop Loc II?
I have a loop loc II mesh cover. Last fall to spring of 2011 to 2012 we had record breaking rain . I had to drain the pool below the skimmers probably 5 times when it was closed to keep it from over flowing out. Annoying yes. If i had to do it again, I'd probably get the ultra loc (Hybrid)

When I opened it at the begining of the season, it had a slight hint of green to it and within 2 days was sparkling clear.

Key is close late open early.
I closed in October, and opened in April. Sure the water is cold, but that's what helps keep the algae from consuming your pool. By Memorial day the water was 84 and we were swimming.

WestSidePool said:
ethany said:

Do you have the Loop Loc or Loop Loc II?
I have a loop loc II mesh cover. Last fall to spring of 2011 to 2012 we had record breaking rain . I had to drain the pool below the skimmers probably 5 times when it was closed to keep it from over flowing out. Annoying yes. If i had to do it again, I'd probably get the ultra loc (Hybrid)

When I opened it at the begining of the season, it had a slight hint of green to it and within 2 days was sparkling clear.

Key is close late open early.
I closed in October, and opened in April. Sure the water is cold, but that's what helps keep the algae from consuming your pool. By Memorial day the water was 84 and we were swimming.
Agree,I do the samething..Usually I close the first of Oct&open end of April,first of may..I just shock my water &get FC way above shock level,Clean out,put cover on&drain water down..second yr of opening with the BBB process.Water is alway clear&level's are where I left them the previous yr.Except clorine.Ready to hit the cold water within the day..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Opened early April here to a green pool. Slowly shocked while I allowed the rainwater to fill the pool. To date I've spent maybe $150 in chemicals and DE for the Inlaws 25k gallon pool. Reminds me however....I need more bleach.

I'm glad to someone has extra money to spend..If I had to spend this type of money I wouldn't have a pool now..Sorry...I average since I started BBB method is around $100 a season..Alway's have a clear pool.BBB has saved me $100's&have seen a return that pay'd for my test kit in 1 season.

ethany said:
I like the close late open early idea. makes sense.

Water temp is the key. Many opinions on this, I'm sure, but below 55 degrees to open/close is what I use. When you open the pool, don't start heating it up right off the bat. Clear it/balance it while it's cold, then start your heater.

Keep your mesh cover.

Dan

ethany said:
My pool was a swamp

I think anytime you can say that, you are facing an expense to rectify it. The question just becomes, "how large of an expense." I have never allowed my pool to turn into a swamp and I have a loop loc mech cover. The key is to close late with clear balanced water and open early when water temps start to approach 60 degrees F. If you miss the boat, here comes the swamp.

One last thing,my wife is getting impatient so she is starting to listen to friends at work. They told her that they had a hard time with algae so they shut off the pump for a few hours,let everything settle,vacuum and now water is crystal clear.

So now she wants me to turn the pump off. LOL!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.