Question on what chemicals to add to my 14' 48" intex pool?

Jun 5, 2012
Hi everyone. I'm new to the pool gig. Just put up a 14' 48" intex pool (mostly because of my 6 month old son, he love the water). With that being said I have done a little bit of research under pool school and know some of the abrviations and definitions on chemicals. I just don't know where to begin? I am using a intex 1600 g/hr sand filter from Walmart ($229) and once I get my pool filled to its mark where do I go from here? I assume check the PH and alkalinity first right? And get those in the designated ballpark. I have hth chemicals (chlorine granulates, stabalizer cya, shock and swim) the pool gallons is 3,800. So where do I start. Thank you

Re: Question on what chemicals to add to my 14' 48" intex po

I have read that. But I guess what I'm asking is how many oz of chlorine granules, shock, and stabalizer should I use in a 3800 gallon pool?

The Pool Calculator will tell you amounts. Make sure to change the gallons first, as default numbers are fire a 10000 gallon pool.

You put your test result in the first column and what you want it to be in the second.

You'll need a good test kit. Good ones are Taylor k-2006, Tf-100, or tf-50.

You can start with CYA and bleach. Not sure what the granules are. Dichlor? If so, those contain CYA as well.

For everything else, you'll need your test results to determine what you will need to adjust.

For example, plugging your numbers into the pool calculator, I get 4 cups of bleach to raise to FC of 4, and 2 cups of CYA to raise CYA to 30.

With a CYA of 30, you want to keep your FC between 2 and 6. I'd raise it each day to 4 at first, while the CYA is building up, and then aim for 5-6 if you find you are dropping close to 2 by the next day.

Depending on your location and specifics, you may want to bring CYA up to 40-50 eventually.

Thank you for your respose. It was very helpful. The chlorine source i have is called hth chlorinating granules (sanitize) so I'm guessing it has chlorine and CYA stabalizer in it. Should I use this or just use liquid bleach 6% found in laundry isle w/ seperate CYA stabalizer?

That may be dichlor. Somewhere on the package or bottle it should say the % of each ingredient and give the name. I'm sure someone else knows this product and will have more info.

Last year I used CYA and bleach. (And muriatic acid to lower my pH.)

I ran out of CYA this year before getting to my target level, but had some tri-chlor pucks (tablets) from something else and I am using them to finish bringing my CYA up.

im looking at my bleach jug. it says 6% sodium hydrochlorite vs. my chlorine granules that contains 47.6% calcium hydrochlorite. are these the same thing?

Well that might be 48% cal-hypo. If so, it does not contain CYA, but it does contain calcium.

Since I have hard water, I stay away from any product like this.

You might actually have a low CH and this would be fine. You'll need test results to figure this out.

Jeffacdc85 said:
im looking at my bleach jug. it says 6% sodium hydrochlorite vs. my chlorine granules that contains 47.6% calcium hydrochlorite. are these the same thing?
Bleach should read sodium hypochlorite, the chlorine granules (cal hypo) should read calcium hypochlorite. Both add chlorine to your pool. The bleach also adds salt, which is no big deal...the calcuim hypochlorite also adds calcium to your pool. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

When I get my pool up and running (assuming my ph levels and alkalinity levels are in range) can I add HTH Shock n Swim every evening for four nights and be ok? I think this will get my CYA up to 30ppm. Obviously I know I'll have to add straight chlorine with no additional stabilizers to keep my FCC in range. Not sure how much CYA is in Shock n Swim compared to just shock? Help please?

As Allison stated above, Cal-hypo has no CYA it contains calcium. Do you know what your CH level is now? You need to know that before adding more to it.

You'll do yourself a favor by backing up a bit and learning to use the Pool Calculator. It'll make your life easier. Once you learn it, it's easy to use to figure out how much of what to add.

I read the temporary pop up pool guide and it states you add shock 4 nights in a row to acquire a CYA of about 30ppm. I guess what I'm asking is can you do this with HTH Shock n Swim? And is this stuff the same as regular pool shock? I know I stated that I have a separate container of stabilizer (CYA) but I will have my pool filled up Friday and my wife will want to get in right away, so I was just going to add straight chlorine just to swim for a couple of hours then Friday night use the shock n swim to add the chlorine/CYA and do this 4 times to acquire my CYA up to 30ppm (assuming it is 8

I read the temporary pop up pool guide and it states you add shock 4 nights in a row to acquire a CYA of about 30ppm. I guess what I'm asking is can you do this with HTH Shock n Swim? And is this stuff the same as regular pool shock? I know I stated that I have a separate container of stabilizer (CYA) but I will have my pool filled up Friday and my wife will want to get in right away, so I was just going to add straight chlorine just to swim for a couple of hours then Friday night use the shock n swim to add the chlorine/CYA and do this 4 times to acquire my CYA up to 30ppm (assuming it is 8ppm, but not sure if it is). Do you know how much CYA is in this stuff?

What is on the package as the ingredients? Looking at a package online with that same name, it shows 47% cal hypo. This will add chlorine and calcium; it will not add CYA.

51104-2.jpg

You can use CYA (HTH Stabilizer & Conditioner), Dichlor, or Tri-chlor tablets to add CYA.

Thank you Allison! Now should I just add the HTH stabilizer (CYA) at night or in the morning, or during the day? The thread I read says to put it in a sock and tie it to your ladder and let it disperse like that. Another question I have (I hate Walmart but it's the closest place) is what can I get from Walmart that is dichlor? Sorry for all the questions.

Also, why do you think you have to wait a long time after adding bleach to swim?
Add the bleach when you are about 3/4 full and it will be well mixed by the time the pool is full. Maybe add half the amount suggested.
Add a sock with 2 cups of CYA at the same time. You can just tie it to your ladder temporarily.
After you get done swimming, add the other half of the suggested bleach.
Retest the next day and go from there.

I just start out with a couple of pucks in a floater while the pool is filling up. Takes us about 4 days to fill our pool (to conserve the well) and I feel this is some added insurance until I can get the pump going and start testing my water. Once the pool is full I add the CYA in a sock (adjusted to reflect how much CYA the pucks should have added).

This year I guessed wrong on how much CYA my pucks were adding, so I am actually shy on CYA. I don't want to buy another large bag of it, so I'll just go back to pucks for a bit.

Pucks are the 3" or 1" tablets - trichlor. The 3" are normally 7 or 8 oz and the 1" are 0.5 oz. You can plug your pool gallons into the pool calculator and then at the bottom use the Effect of... section to see what the results are.

For example, for 3800 gallons, each 7oz 3" puck will raise FC by 13 and raise CYA by 7.7. This is not immediate, but the result of the entire puck dissolving.
An 8oz 3" puck will raise FC by 14 and raise CYA by 8.8.
A 0.5oz 1" puck will raise FC by 0.9 and CYA by .5.

Jeffacdc85 said:
Thank you Allison! Now should I just add the HTH stabilizer (CYA) at night or in the morning, or during the day? The thread I read says to put it in a sock and tie it to your ladder and let it disperse like that. Another question I have (I hate Walmart but it's the closest place) is what can I get from Walmart that is dichlor? Sorry for all the questions.

If you have CYA and bleach, you have no need to ever purchase dichlor.

Add the CYA in anytime. It will take many days to dissolve. You can swim while it is dissolving. Just give the sock a squeeze ever so often.

Can I essentially dissolve the CYA in a bucket with pool water and then dump it in? Will that be ok. I don't have any trichlor. I just have HTH sanitize(CYA), chlorine granules and shock n swim (which to me is the exact same thing as chlorine granules). My goal was to get the CYA into the Pool to the appropriate level and not have to jack with it and just worry about maintaining my ph levels and FC. Is this wrong?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.