New Pentair Clean and Clear with incorrect filters

jmhjgh

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Hello all,
We are still balancing and getting used to our new pool. We cleaned the filters for the first time this past weekend, and I was thinking about getting a spare set. We have the Clean and Clear 420, however, the filters we removed were the 178585 which are the 130 ft^2 filters from a Clean and Clear 520. Physically they fit, but I am wondering if they have adequate clearance for proper operation and should they be replaced with the correct height filter. They seem to work fine, and maybe the larger filters should be looked upon as a bonus? Any comments? Thanks

Measure the height of the filter body itself.
A 420 should be 49" from the bottom of the base to the top of the pressure gauge.
A 520 should be 56" from the bottom of the base to the top of the pressure gauge.

I think you got a 520 sqft filter in place of a 420 sqft filter.

Thanks for the response. I have an email message in at Pentair. Multiple labels state it is a 420, and I think the body physically looks like a 420. I am not sure if the larger filters would physically fit, or if there is any issue with running the larger filters. I will check the measurements tonight.

You are correct Dave. I do have a 420 filter, but it turns out that Pentair uses the same endcaps on all of the filters and I read the 178585 (there must be additional numbers on the filter as well). The longer filters will not fit in the 420. I was hoping I had the 520, but oh well. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.