DE Going Back into Pool

May 25, 2012
We have a Hayward Regent DE pool filter, model S48A84A04 for a 26' above ground pool. Every time we put DE in the skimmer to coat the cartridge, it all goes right back into the pool. We bought a new cartridge, thinking that was the problem, but it's doing the same thing. We don't know what else to do. It doesn't seem to have any air leaks, but maybe we're missing something.
I've read stuff about a check valve, but I don't understand where that is on the filter, or if we even have one. The pool store's repair people weren't very helpful. We want to use our pool, but can't figure out how to get this filter working properly.
It seemed to work OK the first time we ran it this season, but we took it out to clean the cartridge (like we always did - this is our 4th year with the pool), and now it doesn't work anymore. All the DE just goes right into the pool and doesn't stick to the cartridge. Can anyone help, please!?!

So the water has to be bypassing the cartridge. Is your multi valve on filter and fully seated? Have you checked the condition of the spider gasket in the valve?

Not sure how the cartridges work, but have you checked where they seat into the filter ... there must be some kind of seal there. Are there any tears in them?

Sorry if you have checked these already. Just starting from the beginning.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

I appreciate your reply and going back to the beginning is fine. That's what I think we need. What is the multi-valve? Where is the spider gasket? I feel like something must be broken somewhere in the assembly, I just don't know what the parts are and how to tell if they are broken. Thanks so much for your help.

You release a thing on the top and pump it up and down and then disconnect the hoses and open the drain valve. We did have a problem with that earlier this year - the clip at the bottom of it fell off and so the black plastic thing at the end fell off. We replaced the clip and so now it stays on, but maybe there was a bigger problem? I can try to take pictures of everything tonight when we take it part again for the umpteenth time if that would be helpful. Thanks again so much for your help!

Ok then you do not have a multi valve or spider gasket it does not sound like.

I am not familiar with the type of filter you have .... picture could help.

Probably a good idea to open it up and thoroughly inspect all the interior components for cracks and tears.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Here is a link to a blog I set upwith some pictures of the pool filter. The close-up of where the water comes in from near the motor is something I was wondering if it might be broken. Or the picture of the bottom of the plunger thing. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks so much!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.