Intex SWG running, but no chlorine?

vk

May 27, 2010
TN
We have one of the little Intex SWG (Pre-copper) that has worked great in the past, but this year seems something might be wrong. It has been running for about a week from 12-24 hours a day - green light has been on indicating it is producing chlorine. The problem comes when testing the levels - they basically don't exist. The little chlorine/ph combo one is pretty much clear and using the test with the TF100 the water doesn't really even turn pink until I rinse out the tube (nasty to think about).

So is there a way to tell if this thing is actually producing anything? I thought I remember before that it made bubbles. I know at one point there was chlorine since the combo test was bright yellow, but that was before adding CYA to the pool and it has been very hot so I'm unsure if it just hasn't been able to keep up. I do have a spare unit, but since it is the less efficient copper model I'd hate to use that.

Ideas?

Right now
FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
Ph 7.5
TA 120
CYA Assume 0 (Very little left to test with until the last I added has dissolved)
Salt 5400

Just checked and of course the SWG is saying low salt and not running, which makes no sense since it was fine an hour ago before cycling the power.

Is that salt level right? How high does the Intex SWG want the salt level?

Is there a chance that it really is that high (too high) and the SWG has burned itself up because it does not have a safety switch? {I am asking, I have no idea}

You are losing all of your chlorine to sunlight because your CYA level is too low. You should raise CYA to between 70 and 80. Until you can finish bringing the CYA level up you need to add chlorine manually in the evenings.

I just did the test before posting - levels are up a lot from a few days ago and salt hasn't been added in a week.

If it detects too much salt it would report high salt, which would be more appropriate. I hate to have to remove the connectors to pop in the other machine, but might have to at this point. Might try cleaning the cell as a last resort, but maybe it will kick back in and I can test the water at the jet.

Okay, lesson learned - test pool before adding salt. Totally forgot salt doesn't just disappear and since the thing kept saying low salt... changed out the new swg and of course high salt. Currently draining the pool and will have to suck up the cost of all the cya and other chems I recently added. :cry:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, after having to do a drain/refill twice and wasting another thing of CYA the thing is back and going.

Now the question is how long should it take to get good chlorine levels? It has been running about 24 hours so far and here are the new numbers

FC - 2
CC - .5
PH - 7.5/7.8
TA - 110
CH - Went up to 600 and still nothing was showing, not sure what that means
CYA - 50/60
Salt 4000 (still a little high)

On the CH test, what do you mean that "nothing was showing"? If the sample remains clear after adding the dye your reagents have gone bad.

You are making good progress. You have an FC level, which is really good. If you just added CYA, give it a full week to finish dissolving before testing and adding more as needed to get up to the 70 to 80 range. Once CYA is at a good level you can try adjusting the run time on the SWG to adjust the FC level.

Right, it was still clear. The test kit is barely a year old so I figured I'd at least get more than two months use from it.

Last year when I first got the kit my levels were apparently in the high teens so I have no idea if I had done a normal shock before starting with the salt - might have to try and find my posts from this time last year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.