How do I clear blockage in skimmer pipe?

ucnuke

Apr 17, 2008
I think I've got some blockage in the suction side piping. I just opened up my pool and was cleaning out some debris from the bottom of the pool and vacuuming to waste. The suction went away and I went and emptied the basket and started the pump back up to very little pressure. I opened the drain valve and water rushed in and suction was good. When I closed the drain valve again, suction cut off and very little water is coming into the pump.

Any suggestions as to the best way to clear the blockage if that is the problem? Is a snake my best bet?

One good approach is to get a drain king, which is an attachment for a garden hose, and insert it into the intake pipe inside the pump skimmer basket area, and flush the debris back towards the skimmer (pump off, valves set for skimmer only).

JasonLion said:
One good approach is to get a drain king, which is an attachment for a garden hose, and insert it into the intake pipe inside the pump skimmer basket area, and flush the debris back towards the skimmer (pump off, valves set for skimmer only).

I've used one at the advice of Jason and it works great. They cost like 10 bucks at Ace Hardware. I saw what looked to be the same thing at Leslies for 30 dollars. I considered filing "pool stored" charges against them. :-D

Thanks for the advice. It worked great. I had tried a shop vac to suck it back to the skimmer because I can get a good seal for suction, but it just wasn't strong enough. The drain king ($10 at Lowes) did it in about 2 minutes.

Thanks again. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.