Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I clear blockage in skimmer pipe?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I clear blockage in skimmer pipe?

I think I've got some blockage in the suction side piping. I just opened up my pool and was cleaning out some debris from the bottom of the pool and vacuuming to waste. The suction went away and I went and emptied the basket and started the pump back up to very little pressure. I opened the drain valve and water rushed in and suction was good. When I closed the drain valve again, suction cut off and very little water is coming into the pump.

Any suggestions as to the best way to clear the blockage if that is the problem? Is a snake my best bet?
    20x40 Vinyl IG, 1.5 HP Hayward SuperPump II, Sand Filter, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2
    One good approach is to get a drain king, which is an attachment for a garden hose, and insert it into the intake pipe inside the pump skimmer basket area, and flush the debris back towards the skimmer (pump off, valves set for skimmer only).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    One good approach is to get a drain king, which is an attachment for a garden hose, and insert it into the intake pipe inside the pump skimmer basket area, and flush the debris back towards the skimmer (pump off, valves set for skimmer only).
    I've used one at the advice of Jason and it works great. They cost like 10 bucks at Ace Hardware. I saw what looked to be the same thing at Leslies for 30 dollars. I considered filing "pool stored" charges against them.
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks for the advice. It worked great. I had tried a shop vac to suck it back to the skimmer because I can get a good seal for suction, but it just wasn't strong enough. The drain king ($10 at Lowes) did it in about 2 minutes.

Thanks again.
    20x40 Vinyl IG, 1.5 HP Hayward SuperPump II, Sand Filter, Polaris 280