Pulse Check on Pool Spec

p_pan

Apr 16, 2008
Texas
Hi There,
This is my second post here. I am new to the pool business and hopefully will learn a lot from my coleagues here in the next few weeks/months.

PB will start digging this week. Although we have already signed the contract, we tried to have as much included based on what I read onthe internet (gardeweb and here). Hopefully, my specs are going to appear in this post since I added to my profile. I'd like to hear from anyone out there about our specs and see if they make sense.

Thanks and I look forward to a long lasting relationship with TFP.

Regards.

My advice would be to forget the Nature2 and to carefully consider that big pump. I don't know how much water your water features require, but that pump is enormous for the pool otherwise.

This would be a great application for a two speed, or variable speed, pump. That large pump is going to consume lots of electricity. When running the spa you might want that kind of power to get lots of action from the jets, but when circulating the pool it will be overkill. If you could circulate the pool on low speed and only go to high speed when running the spa you could save a lot of electricity.

Forget the Nature 2. If the Delzone system is only for the spa (and the spa is isolated from the pool) then it might be a worthwhile addition. Ozone is not as effective in pools, IMHO.

The Rainbow is one of the better trichlor feeders but be aware that even with a DE filter and regular backwashing your pool will still most likely become overstabilzied if you use trichlor exclusively. Look into getting a SWG.

JohnT said:
My advice would be to forget the Nature2 and to carefully consider that big pump. I don't know how much water your water features require, but that pump is enormous for the pool otherwise.

Hi John,

Which pump are you referring to and why?

Stealth Circulation Pump 2.5HP?
Stealth Booster Pump 1.0HP?

Also, this Nature 2 was a pitch from the PB. I see another comment down saying that it is not a good thing. Do you think if I downgrade or eliminate items the PB would be willing to loose revenue or switch the features to something else?

p_pan said:

He's referring to the 2.5 hp pump. The booster pump will only run when your cleaner is running, so that's not a big deal. Buy holy cow, that is a mondo circulation pump!! It's going to eat you alive on energy costs. A multi-speed pump will be much more efficient, but you'll need a controls system (automation) to take advantage of it.

waterbear said:
Forget the Nature 2. If the Delzone system is only for the spa (and the spa is isolated from the pool) then it might be a worthwhile addition. Ozone is not as effective in pools, IMHO. .

The SPA and Pool are not separated, as far as I know. What is the reason Ozone is not as effective in pools? Would you eliminate it in lieu of a salt system? Would you eliminate even if I don't go with salt?

waterbear said:
The Rainbow is one of the better trichlor feeders but be aware that even with a DE filter and regular backwashing your pool will still most likely become overstabilzied if you use trichlor exclusively. Look into getting a SWG.

We always wanted a salt system but our PB and all other PBs in the North Texas are not recommending it and want you to sign a waver for stone, copying, deck, wires, and equipment damages.

TresW said:
p_pan said:

He's referring to the 2.5 hp pump. The booster pump will only run when your cleaner is running, so that's not a big deal. Buy holy cow, that is a mondo circulation pump!! It's going to eat you alive on energy costs. A multi-speed pump will be much more efficient, but you'll need a controls system (automation) to take advantage of it.

Could the pump power have to do with the distance of the equipment from the pool which is around 45 feet from the pool? What other options of pump are out there?

circulation pump

Here is my ignorant view on this. Please let me know if it makes sense or if I am still off.

The large pump is for the pool and SPA and it is a circulation pump with 2 speed. Is it still overkill?

The other small pump is for the 3 water features (stone scupers). According to the pool builder, I could have used a single pumple for all but I could not use the SPA and the water features at the same time. Does it make sense?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
p_pan said:
Do you think if I downgrade or eliminate items the PB would be willing to loose revenue or switch the features to something else?

I just saw that you mentioned in another thread that your PB is Riverbend Sandler, I'm sure you'll have no trouble negogiating some revisions with them. They're pretty honest from everything I've heard.

p_pan said:
We always wanted a salt system but our PB and all other PBs in the North Texas are not recommending it and want you to sign a waver for stone, copying, deck, wires, and equipment damages.

It's a problem in our area (DFW) if you have stone. Apparently our local stone is more susceptible to damage/ erosion from salt systems than in other areas of the state and country. Our PB (Hobert) also will not install an SWG with stone coping. They'll install it with other copings though.

TresW said:
It's a problem in our area (DFW) if you have stone. Apparently our local stone is more susceptible to damage/ erosion from salt systems than in other areas of the state and country. Our PB (Hobert) also will not install an SWG with stone coping. They'll install it with other copings though.

Tresw,
Did you go with chlorine then? If so, was it an easy decision?

Re: circulation pump

p_pan said:
Here is my ignorant view on this. Please let me know if it makes sense or if I am still off.

The large pump is for the pool and SPA and it is a circulation pump with 2 speed. Is it still overkill?

The other small pump is for the 3 water features (stone scupers). According to the pool builder, I could have used a single pumple for all but I could not use the SPA and the water features at the same time. Does it make sense?

Looks like we're typing at the same time :)

You want a low pump speed for circulation as you will be circulating 8 to 12 hours a day depending on the season and bather load. Then you'll want to ramp it up for running the spa. If that pump is 2 speed then it's probably OK. As far as not being able to run the spa and water features at once with one pump, he's probably right because that's a lot of water flow.

Proper sizing of pumps is a rather arcane art. Instead of doing it right many pool builders simply put in a larger pump than is really needed. Customers tend to be happy because they see lots of water movement and figure everything is working. By the time they get the electric bill the builder is long gone.

It is possible that your spa actually needs the large pump when the jets are on, though that seems less than certain. But there is no way normal circulation and filtering needs a pump that big. Even if that is the right size for the spa you could save a lot of electricity by having a two speed or variable speed motor so you can run it on a lower speed when the spa is off.

The distance from the equipment pad to the spa, the number and size of the pipes, the number and kind of jets, and a couple of other minor details all play into the size of pump you need. 45' is a fairly standard distance, not something that normally requires a large pump. The kind of jet used in the spa is probably the deciding factor in this case, in particular their design flow rate. If you are getting high flow rate jets then you probably need the larger pump. But it is all fairly speculative without a full work-up with all the details.

Hi There,

It's been a while since I posted here. It's been a busy process to build our pool and learn about several things that were not business as usual for us.

I am writting today to ask for help with our pumps. We discussed a little bit about the whole thing back when I posted this thread but after I paid attention to the pumps I got, I was a little puzzled.

Basically, we just finished decking and will do plaster next. Our equipment is installed and I notice that we have the following pumps installed:

1) Jandy SHPM 2.5
2) Jandy SHPM 1.0
3) Booster Pump (I guess it is CSA ENC 2 or LR51044... if I am reading this correctly).

Anyway, I have a feeling we are getting a single speed pump for our pool/spa. The pools is a 15,500 gallons and the spa has 6 jets. Also we have 2 fountains, one in the taning ledge and one in the spa. Additionally, we have installed 3 water features (18" by 18" stone scupers to shoot water on the pool).

Is it right to say that I am getting a single speed pump? Also, what is the impact in terms of energy consumption and the bottom line difference in terms of additional dollars on my monthly energy bill?

Also, if this is a big deal, can this system be changed still to a variable or 2 speed pump? What would be the additional cost involved?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

p_pan,

I don't see any details of your pool spec or equipment specs in your signature?

Are your pumps installed yet? If not, I would ask the pool builder to give you the hydraulic calculations he did in order to size the pumps and other equipment. (And if he says he did not do a hydraulic calculation, then please send him here so we can educate him a little. Or give us his e-mail address and phone number :twisted: :twisted: )

At the very least, copy down the COMPLETE nameplate data from all of your pumps, and the flow requirements of your spa jets. Maybe we can use that data and try and nail down some solid recommendations for you.

Titanium

Pump Size

I noticed my pool specs were no longer in the signature portion. Here are the specs:

- 15,500 gallons
- Perimeter: 88
- 28'5" by 16'4"
- IG gunite
- 4 main drains
- 5 returns
- 2 skimmers
- Auto-Fill
- Filter: Jandy DE 60
- Heater: LAARS Lxi 400
- SWG: Aquapure Salt System (added as addendum)
- Jandy PDA PS6 controller
- Rainbow 320 Chlorinator (they keep this even though it is a SWG)
- Polaris 280 Complete with booster pump

Pumps:

Jandy 2.5HP Stealth Circulation Pump

IMG_1691.jpg
[/img]

IMG_1686.jpg
[/img]

Jandy 1.0 HP
IMG_1694.jpg
[/img]

IMG_1693.jpg

Booster Pump
IMG_1690.jpg
[/img]

Also, I don't have the flow requirements of the SPA. I have not been able to get in touch with my PB (Riverbend Sandler) but I hope we will be able to get to the bottom of this next week.

Here are the pictures of the pool along with the 3 water features, the spa with 6 jets, and finally, a couple of shots from the equipment

IMG_1685.jpg
[/img]

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg
[/img]

IMG_1680.jpg
[/img]

IMG_1681.jpg

Is this enough information to get some advice on whether we should upgrade the pump to 2 speeds, downgrade, etc? Also, what is the bottom line in terms of utility bills of this configuration versus a recommended one, if applicable.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

If you do a search here you will find plenty of information about the benefits of 2-speed / variable speed pumps over single speed versions. In general:

Single Speed-> Cheap now most expensive to operate

2 Speed-> More expensive now less expensive to operate

Variable Speed-> Most expensive now cheapest to operate.

In mine, and many others opinion, the variable speed is the way to go because the long term operating cost will be lowest.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.