heat pump hook up with hose ?

Jun 1, 2011
bought a aquacal tropical 55,000 btu heat pump have a 1.5 h.p. pump on filter can I use hose for hook up instead of hard plump with pvc or will I lose to much friction lose has a 3" connect at pump want to use my 1 1/2 in hose

Just as long as you've got 20 - 45 gpm to the Tropical Heat Pump, it will work just fine. Most likely your 1.5 hp pump will give you more than 45 gopm, in which case you'll need to plumb the heater with a bypass valve. Your owners manual should show you how to do that. If not, contact me and I can further instruct you.
You mentioned 3" connect at pump. Since it goes from pump to filter, what is the pipe size on the outlet of your heater?

hi Sean sorry its a 2" inlet and outlet on the pump. my filter pump puts out 35gpm so I'm good there. What I need to know is can I reduce down to an 1 1/2 for my hoses right at the pump connects or do I need 2' of pvc coming out of the heater then reduce there for the hoses?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.