first time intex buyer- tips wanted

Jun 4, 2012
Hi,
I am looking to purchase a 14 x 42 intex pool from Target. A saltwater system is a must. however I can't find any product specs as to whether the filter it comes with is compatible with the required 700 GPH. No idea how to calculate this.
Also, would you recommend that the filter be upgraded to a sand filter.
Looking to use 3 months out of the year and then take it down. We are in NY.
thank you

Overall I think you will be happier with the sand filter. The 14x42 ultra frame has a 1000 gph pump/filter, however most folks find the cartridge/pump combos to be insufficient for vacuuming and keeping the water clear.

I had a 12 x 36 Intex & a knockoff 15X42 inflatable ring. The pump/filters that came with them (and replacements from friends/Craigslist) were all horribly insufficient. I wound up buying a sand filter/pump combo from the pool store (I know)- best thing I ever did. No more paper filters to rinse/replace constantly, and now I can actually vacuum effectively. The hardest part was making the connections to the pool. I went to Home Depot & found some grey rubber reducer/adapters. I put a PVC coupler inside the hose to have something solid for the clamp to tighten down on, and the other end went on the pool outlet.

Also, if you don't already have one, get a good test kit. That little red & yellow one doesn't tell you nearly what you need to know. I finally learned this the hard way at the end of last season when I found pool school.

Welcome aboard from a Long Island escapee!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.