SWG vs Bleach?

Well they might be, a lot depends on how long they last, cost of replacement plates, etc. Bleach is at least predictable, once you know your demand and the local market cost, you can calculate expenses at a fairly accurate rate of a few dollars per week, but with an SWG you have that several hundred dollar initial expense for equipment, plus the cost of what may be several hundreds if not thousands of pounds of salt (and all the hauling dumping and stiring that is involved), then you get to wait for something to break, and hope it happens under warranty, if not under warranty at least hope repair parts are still available.

Ike

On the average residential pool the costs come out about the same. But in a specific pool it can end up tilting either way depending on which SWG you get, plus many other small factors, and some luck. As a general rule, SWGs are a better deal if your pool uses a lot of chlorine (larger pool, open more of the year), and not as good if your pool uses less chlorine (smaller pool, not open all that long each year).

I have a friend in another state that has a SWG, and the plates disintregrated after 5 years. Spending $800 dollars for a new one, it lasted 3 years. Not wanting to spend that much with no guarantee as to how long this one would last, he just uses clorine by the jug now.

It really is a trade off. Pay now or pay later. With the SWCG you don't have to lug bleach container or add on a daily basis, but you do have the large initial up front cost. It's really a matter of how much time you have to dedicate to your pool care, and what's your time worth.

I use the Pentair IC60, 44K pool. I think it works out in my favor compared to bleach. Assuming of course I get 4+ years out of the cell. I would need at least 1 gallon of bleach a day, for at least 200 days out of the year. On the low side this is $200 a year, 4 years $800. Which is about the price of a IC60 replacement cell. The side benefit is not hauling all the bleach around. But like I mentioned, assuming I get 4 years of cell life.

Chris

Pointyhead said:
I have a friend in another state that has a SWG, and the plates disintregrated after 5 years. Spending $800 dollars for a new one, it lasted 3 years. Not wanting to spend that much with no guarantee as to how long this one would last, he just uses clorine by the jug now.
my neighbors had a SWG and the replacement was about 1K so they went bleach too

We figure it costs more for convenience which is worth something to us. SOooooo we actually do both-
I can add liquid bleach when I need that instant "Pow!" of chlorine such as when the grandbebe pooped in the pool, but otherwise let the SWG work behind the scenes so that I don't have to deal with adding anything on a daily basis and particularly if going out of town for a few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
superman0604 said:
YippeeSkippy said:
particularly if going out of town for a few days.

That was a big part of why I decided to try the SWG. I live probably 20-30 minutes from any close friends or family and don't have anyone to check it for me so IMO its worth it.

I use a stenner pump with a 15 gallon tank that pumps bleach in. The pump itself plus the tank cost about $300 total. The 15 gallon tank lasts about a month at summer chlorine rates. I would have gone salt, but we have natural stone coping which gets eaten by the salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.