What replacement Pump - Energy savings, above ground pool

Jun 4, 2012
Hi, I've stumpled across this site last year, and thanks to all for the information. Now on to my question:

Pool : 16x32 Dough Boy with a deep end ~15,000 gallons.

1 skimer, 1 returns.

still flex 1.5" from the skimer to pump,
1.5" pvc from the pump/filter to heater & return.

Current pump
I belive is a 1.5hp hayward setup( on the label it says 1.5hp spl) 1.12kw spl

Model number sp-1515-z1b

The filter is a hayward Hayward Star Clear Plus 1750 (or the model right before it, that uses the 175sq media)

Heater is a hayward h200.

All of this equipment was purchased by the previous homeowner, but after reading this site I feel I might be throwing away money.

In the future I might add a solar heating on the garage roof.

I'm tempted to replace it with this

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP15922S- ... 111&sr=1-1

Price is right, and payback period might be a year or two.

Re: What replacement Pump - Energy savings, above ground poo

Welcome to TFP!

Switching to a two speed pump can save a great deal of electricity. That may or may not be enough to pay back the pump cost that quickly, depending on what your electric rates are. You should be able to save 50% of whatever you are currently paying, assuming you don't have a fountain, in floor cleaner, or solar system. Adding the solar system complicates things as roof mounted solar systems usually require running on high speed to work correctly, negating the savings at least while the solar system is operating. There is also a smaller chance that the heater could have similar issues. Some larger heaters require running the pump on high speed at least while the heater is in use.

Re: What replacement Pump - Energy savings, above ground poo

The pool heater is used only in early season and near the end. The solar heater would be the same. I would geuss out of a ~4 month season here, the pool heater has been in use at most 3 weeks total. 2 years ago I didn't turn it on, last year, it was on for a week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.