How long to clear this up?

Dieter

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2011
We're about to find out! NASTY!

I guess that's what you get with a record setting unseasonably warm winter and a spring that starts off in the 80s and 90s. Pool was still quite clear when I peeked under the cover at the end of winter. I'm hoping that a long enough shocking will get it in line. Gonna be a looooot of chlorine.

f1b1ec5a.jpg

ecd51ca1.jpg

5a6dfbc9.jpg

Don't dive in headfirst with that bleach just yet. It looks like you have a lot of solid material to scoop out of there before you put the bleach in it. Get everything you can.

Then, check your pH and get it around 7.2-7.4 or so.

Now you can start the shock process. :goodjob:

Those pics were taken before we got some electrical problems fixed today. Now the filter and pumps are up and running and we're clearing everything out. I'm hoping that tomorrow I can start seriously managing it and we can be swimming in two weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
4th
ecd51ca1.jpg

to the

6th
b35de469.jpg

Lookin better. Still VERY cloudy in addition to the green, but at least the green monster is receding. Can barely see a foot or two deep.

Unfortunately ran out of r0871 so had to order some more for the TF100. DOH. :hammer:

One more day. Two days ago I couldn't remotely see the bottom. Threw in this dive toy and could see it 3 ft deep.

b89c364c.jpg

Got new bottle of r0871 and re-tested.

FC 8.0
CC 0.0
pH 7.8
TA 140
CH 290
CYA 0(!)

I tested the CYA a couple days ago and must have got an errant reading because of the particulate floating in the water. We did add a couple inches of water as well. The rest of the readings are pretty close to what the pool showed most of last summer.

Need to go get some CYA immediately and lower the pH a tad. Also going to get a trichlor puck and see if I can't get these stains on the step to lighten. It honestly looks like virtually the entire pool floor is stained like crazy. I've been told there's a pool party here on the 19th, so I'm hoping to sort it by then. Eek.

Richard320 said:
Organic stains take a couple weeks to bleach out. And all your chlorine is busy killing green stuff right now.

Hey Richard, do you think it's possible that the worst of the stains may be gone in 12 days? Also, since I seem to be having a successful battle with the algae for now, is there any specific level I should be keeping the FC at to help remedy surface stains?

Dieter said:
Richard320 said:
Organic stains take a couple weeks to bleach out. And all your chlorine is busy killing green stuff right now.

Hey Richard, do you think it's possible that the worst of the stains may be gone in 12 days? Also, since I seem to be having a successful battle with the algae for now, is there any specific level I should be keeping the FC at to help remedy surface stains?
Just maintain FC.

We used to get all kinds of leaf stains in the pool at a summer camp I worked at in the 80s. They were gone in a week or so.

4th
ecd51ca1.jpg

6th
b35de469.jpg

9th
7cce08af.jpg

Just added 2 gallons of liquid conditioner. That stuff is painfully expensive per jug, but I don't want to be adding granulated conditioner and limit my ability to continue backwashing the filter. Also want to keep it on the low end because obtaining shock levels in a 50,000 gallon pool makes lugging 20 jugs of chlorine back and forth impractical. Slow going, but I've probably backwashed 3 times and vacuumed 3 times. Brushing it every chance I get. Overnight chlorine loss was just about 1.5-2. Still managed to brush a little bit off underneath the pool light.

Sand filter is slow going. Seemed to help a little by placing the upturned vac at the bottom and running it off one of the skimmers instead of the main drain. The main drain on this pool has always seemed to do a pretty poor job of circulating the water through the system.

No progress yet on stains fading.

Good news bad news.

Good news is I went outside this morning and could see the floor drain in the deep end, which is 9+ feet. Still shocking because I can now see some areas I was missing during brushing because the pool was so cloudy.

Bad news is virtually the entire pool floor and much of the sides has these stains on them, and scrubbing with various brush types is doing nothing to alleviate them. They haven't really lightened at all after a ~week of shocking.

001ee52e.jpg

d7ef3d8e.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.