Fair cost to fix a leaky pipe

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
The leak detector guys determined that there is a little leak in the suction pipe carrying water from the pool to the filter. I talked to a guy at a local pool store who said he would charge $100/hour to fix it, and that it would probably only take an hour or 2 but he could not promise anything. The pipe is only about 18 inches under ground. He said if it was a leaky joint it would be quick and easy, but if it was flexible hose that was collapsing it would he harder.

$100/hour seems a little high, but if it is only and hour that is no big deal.

Does this all sound fair and reasonable, or should I shop around?

I can dig it myself. If it is simple PVC I think I can fix it myself, but I wouldn't mind paying someone who knows what they are doing to check it out. I don't want to pay $100/hour if I don't have to.

I guess I need to be super careful when digging not to damage the pipe with the shovel. I probably need to hire someone who knows what they are doing.

TomAtlanta said:
Even if you spend an hour digging and you find it's not normal PVC, you saved $100 you'd have had to pay them.

My only concern is that I will hit the pipe and damage it while digging.

Fixing shallow pipes is trivial. People dig up PVC routinely with backhoes without damaging it. Just dig slowly and watch the hole. No chopping with the spade and you'll be fine.

I don't know... but it seems to me if you damage the damaged/leaking pipe digging down to the pipe you simply need to use a bigger patch; 2 feet of pipe/hose instead of 1 foot.

So, the risk of damaging $2 worth of pipe is better than paying the tech $100 in labor... to save the $2 worth of pipe.

Just my thought...

I don't know... but it seems to me if you damage the damaged/leaking pipe digging down to the pipe you simply need to use a bigger patch; 2 feet of pipe/hose instead of 1 foot.
So, the risk of damaging $2 worth of pipe is better than paying the tech $100 in labor... to save the $2 worth of pipe.
Just my thought...

Yes, of course you are correct. I don't have much experience of confidence with this stuff, but of course I could figure out how to do it. I need to develop more of these skills now that I am retired.

Thanks for stating the obvious, which for some reason was not obvious to me when I asked the question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.