From Green to Clear to Algae Back on Bottom

Jul 2, 2011
China Grove, NC
From one day to the next I went out and found the pool's water green and cloudy. I went to Lowes and purchased some Shock Plus Xtra Blue and Algaecide 20% by Aqua Chem.

I put the recommended dose for my pool size. It said it could be repeated in 72hrs if needed. (1 lb (bag) per 10,000 gallons.) I entered my test results on the Pool Calculator and it recommended shock at 23 for mustard algae. I wasn't sure if what I had was mustard algae. Initially I was just trying to reach shock level based on the Pool Calculator. The water cleared up but you could still see the stuff on the bottom and floating in water when it was brushed. Floating not as a solid but more as green dusty stuff. I used 5 of the large containers of Bleach 6% from Samsclub next. (Two one day and three the next) The next time I shocked I used 2 bags of the Shock plus extra blue, and when the FC wasn't raised that much I added the third bag to raise it more. I have the TF-100 test kit.

I have been running the pump 24/7 since this started. I would wait between applications to make sure it was mixed up well before I tested the water. (Like overnight) Then tested the water again and while it has been above the shock range recommended by the Pool Calculator it has never made it to the high range recommended for mustard algae. I am beginning to think that is what it is since it went away only to come back again. I was reading this site and saw where someone suggested putting pool toys in to let them soak, too. To keep them from making the algae come back. I didn't think about doing that with the whale brush and net. Today I put them in and am wondering if that is what makes my water still have something in it. I added stabilizer yesterday since the FC never really got very high. (Possibly a mistake since I read CL is easier to raise with CYA lower?)

This has been going on now for 1 1/2 or 2 weeks. Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (It looked great at the beginning of the year!) These numbers read vertically. It wouldn't let me do columns.

5-28-12 FC 18.5 CC 1 TC 19.5 CYA 38 PH 7.8
5-30-12 FC 13.5 CC 0.5 TC 14
5-31-12 FC 12.5 CC 0.5 TC 13.0 TA 90 PH 7.8 CYA 38
6-3-12 FC 11.5 CC 1 TC 12.5
6-4-12 FC 15 CC 1 TC 16 CYA 55 TA 100

This is what it looks like today. It has never been as bad as it was when it started but it has not been totally clear either. I was also reading about Borate. I got the pool last summer and I have never added Borate. I think I understand that it is not necessary but might be desirable.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I remember looking at that page. That is why I thought I should add stabilizer. The minimum for stabilizer was 60. (All of the stabilizer in the sock is not dissolved yet.) By that I would need to have the FC at 24. The Pool Calculator says add 293 more ounces of bleach. So basically keep the FC at 24 until it is clear, and there is not a significant change in FC levels overnight and the CC is no more than .05? Is this correct? Would it be faster to just add 60% poly something and be finished with it? And is that what mustard algae looks like. The splotches settle on the bottom of the pool and when brushed dissolve/mix with the water and looks like green dust.

Don't add more CYA (stabilizer) until you complete the shock process. Higher CYA forces you to hold a higher FC number while shocking.

The poly isn't what you want to do. You want to go through the shock process to clear your pool of all organics, without adding significant unneeded chemicals to your pool.

Remember, you don't want to fall below that FC, so aim a little north of the 24ppm goal.

Mustard algae tends to look yellow when you brush it. You can find videos of it on YouTube.

Just add bleach to continually stay above shock level (24ppm) for your CYA of 60ppm ... eventually everything will be dead and filtered out.

Make sure you turn off your SWG (if it is on now) when you do the OCLT.

The mustard algae video on You Tube looked like ours.

Tested the water 6-4 FC 15 CC 1 TC 16
checked The pool Calculator and the link given above. The link said 24 the calculator said 32. To keep it north of those I added slightly more bleach than the pool calculator recommended.

Retested after a couple of hours: FC 45.5 CC 0 TC 45.5

6-5 retested and it had dropped significantly. FC 31 CC 0 TC 31 Didn't add anything The algae is just a couple of black chunks at the bottom. When brushed turns into black particles that float around. Started using Wanda Whale vacuum. (

We did get a couple of inches of rain.)

6-6 FC 22 CC 0.5 TC 22.5 (Didn't test on 6-7)

6-8 FC 15.5 CC 0.5 TC 16.0

Is it safe to assume that it is dead and I can now use the pool when the FC level comes down?

My granddaughter is coming over Sunday for 4 days of her summer break. Will we be able to use it? The water is clear.

Looks like you have passed at least 1 of the 3 tests to stop shocking. Can you still see algae? Have you passed the OCLT?

It is safe to swim if you CC are less than 1ppm and your FC is less than shock level. Although if you see continue to see algae, you will have to start the shock process again when they leave. Make sure the FC stays above the minimum.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

There was only a couple of small spots of algae that had turned black. When brushed they turned into small particles instead of the dusty yellowish green stuff. The pool is clear and the CC has been 0.5 or 0.0 for several days now.

I went back and reviewed the OCLT test. I haven't made it up early enough to test it before sun is on it. (Actually, there have been about 3 mornings that is has been raining, but I still wouldn't have made it up before the sun was on it.)

I checked it this morning at 8 am but half of the pool was in the sun.

Quick question... The pool has: FC 10.5 CC 0.5 TC 11 TA 90

My granddaughter is over, is it ok to go in the pool now? The CC has stayed 0.5 and no higher since I shocked it.

CL has been going down steadily since I shocked it. 6-5-12 FC 31 6-6-12 FC 22 6-8-12 FC 15.5 6-10-12 14.5 and today 10.5

Assuming you have more than a CYA of 20ppm, swimming would be safe with a FC level of 10.5

It is safe when the FC is less than shock value, FC is more than the minimum listed in the CYA/FC chart, CC are 0.5 or less, and the water is clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.