Creating a known Sample of CYA

nalai

Jan 27, 2012
Houston, TX
I've tried searching for this answer but my google-fu is failing me.

I want to create a known sample of CYA concentration. That is to say, when I mix it with the reagent then put it in the viewing tube I should get 40ppm.

For a 50ml sample how much plain water (does it have to have chlorine in it?) to stabilizer liquid do I need to add?

Mainly I want to train my eyes so that feel more confident reading my pool's CYA levels.

According to the pool calculator 1 gram of stabilizer in 5 gallons of water will give you a cya level of 52. All you need is a kitchen scale, a 5 gallon bucket and a container that can accurately measure liquid.

Of course that assumes the accuracy of the pool calculator.

:p

toadlife, it isn't the accuracy of the Pool Calculator that would cause a problem with your approach, it is the purity of the CYA and your ability to measure 1 gram accurately (most household scales are rather imprecise). Most people attempting to do this will get +-20%, or worse, results, which pretty much invalidates your approach for anyone not using laboratory grade equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.