Couple simple questions, sort of.

May 29, 2012
What's tge BBB method? How does shocking bring up CYA? Is using bleach ok if u have metals in the water issues as long as ur using sequestriants and I ask because doesn't that method have u try and maintain a higher than average fc reading? I'm new to using bleach in fact I just ordered the tf-100 test kit yesterday to better monitor my numbers. Thanks.

Isn't CYA the same as stabilizer? My stabilizer is 0. What's the best way to raise ot to an acceptable level so my chlorine reading can get above 0 as well. I've read alot of the beginners stuff on pool school but an getting more confused each day.

Adding the CYA and FC separately is the safest method as you can dose properly ... and adds the chems quickly.

Alternativly, dichlor or trichlor solids (granules/pucks) add both FC and CYA so you have to be a little more sareful to no over-shoot CYA. IF you already have some of this, you could use it. But, if you are going to buy ... stick with the separate chemicals.

So with a fc reading of 0, a total tc reading of 0, a ph reading of 7.4 how much stabilizer to u reccomend to bring me up to 30? I'm planning on shocking with Dichcor tomorrow nite. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I'm waiting on my tf-100 test kit to come on Wednesday. This site is great but not sure if I'm going with BBB method yet because it's confusing, however this site got me to realize I need to test every day. Pool currently hazy with a tint of green.

None of those numbers tell you how much CYA to add. All you need to know is your starting CYA amount, and how many gallons your pool holds. Use poolcalculator.com for the amount to add.

If your pool is green, go to pool school and start reading How to Shock.

The BBB method is just about understanding your pool chemistry through testing and adding only what your pool NEEDS. You can be a BBBr without using bleach ... if you understand what you are adding to your pool.

Using poolcalculator, for a 21k gallon pool, about 10 lbs of dichlor will add 30ppm of CYA ... but you should not add that all at once as it will also raise your FC by 32ppm and lower our pH by 1.2

Also THIS: Shocking Your Pool is the process of shocking your pool. Adding a bunch of stuff 1 time with no testing is not what we call "shocking"

I thought if the stabilizer was 0 the CYA was 0. Is the Dichlor stabilizer? Does that mean by using 42 oz of schock a night for 4 nights in a rowshould get the stabilizer in check. When I was in pool store they said they sold stabilizer seperately. I think I'm more confused on the cya/stabilizer thing. I hope I'm not frustrating you with my questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dichlor is not stabillizer, it's a chlorine source that INCLUDES stabilizer. Cyanuric Acid (CYA) is stabilizer. Adding dichlor should be adding to your CYA, but note it can take a week for it to show up on your test.

For those just starting out, it will be easier to buy chemicals separately. Then you can add EXACTLY what you need, when you need it, based on your own testing.

After you have the hang of all of the various chemicals and how to use the Pool Calculator, then you may want to begin using chemicals that are blended, as in trichlor, dichlor, or cal-hypo.... WHEN you know what the components are and how much of each you are adding and you understand the safe ranges of each chemical.

For example, in order to get your CYA up to the level you ultimately want, you would want to calculate the total volume of dichlor, then determine how much of that total you could add each day. It may take awhile. Easier to just by Stablilizer and add what you need, now, all at once. The chemicals won't be wasted, stabilizer will keep until next year or when you need it again.

I do appreciate everyone's help and don't seem to sound like a dope. How much stabilizer should I put in my pool to raise cyu then? Asking at the pool store around the block would be a mistake. I tried the pool calculator with no reasonable luck. I'm going to be shocking tonight. I really need to have some stabilizer reading soon.

If CYA is currently around 0, you should raise it to about 40. Plugging those numbers into the Pool Calculator along with your pool size shows that you should add 7 lbs of stabilizer/conditioner/cyanuric acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.