Please? Help replacing skimmer gaskets?

LauleaHere&There

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2010
Rural Moloka'i, Hawai'i
I'm doing an upgrade to my little pool--putting in an appropriate-size pump, adding a solar heater, swapping some hard pipe for spa-flex so as to minimize a couple of awkward runs.

Here are my questions:

1. While the water level is below the skimmer and return, I intend to replace the gaskets, which are showing signs of leaking and replace the skimmer altogether. If I find rust, what's the best way to handle it?

2. Also would like advice on how to do the above, because the lining is already cut. Or am I supposed to replace the liner when I do this, too?

3. I have seen posts about spa-flex that don't speak very highly of it. Am I making a mistake here? Best advice, please. I do need it for at least the solar heater. And I'm trying to soften the corners of the pipe runs, because the 12' diameter is a tight circle in a small space.

4. Any other advice?

Thanks, everybody.

1. Depends on how bad the rust is. Anything from brushing & painting to panel replacement.

2. While it would be better to replace the liner but if it doesn't need it, you can replace the skimmer & returns without replacing the liner.

I can't help with the flex as I've never used it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.