Vacation and the BBB

.... and your TA is not too low for trichlor.

You should be able to calculate how many tablets you will need to equal the typical amount of bleach, then use the Pool Calculator to see what that volume of trichlor adds in CYA levels.

In a week you will probably add 20 ppm, more or less. If you started out low that will be OK. If you are already high, well, it's a choice based on the numbers you expect. If it is raining, at least you can expect some overflow and loss of CYA that way.

I left the country for a week and a half. I raised the water level, you won't need that if it rains where you live. Then I lowered pH to 7.2. Ran FC up to shock, put some trichlor pucks in a floater, and put a ratty solar cover on.

Everything was fine when I got home, aside from a lot of blue plastic crumbles from the cover disintegrating.

That wouldn't work because the chlorine loss is proportional to the FC level (all else, such as CYA, equal). It would be fine if one covered the pool with a mostly opaque cover to cut down chlorine loss, but with the sun one will lose significant FC, especially at shock level since more of the chlorine is unbound to CYA so breaks down faster.

In a week you will probably add 20 ppm, more or less. If you started out low that will be OK. If you are already high, well, it's a choice based on the numbers you expect. If it is raining, at least you can expect some overflow and loss of CYA that way.

A week could add 20 ppm, more or less? Wow, at that rate, a month of trichlor would add just over 80ppm, just three months would add about 250ppm? Is that about right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's probably more realistic to assume the daily chlorine usage at 2 ppm, though this depends a lot on actual conditions and CYA level. So one week would be 14 ppm FC and 8.5 ppm CYA. So generally not a problem. For one-week trips, pucks are great to use. It's when one is gone for longer periods of time where it's more of an issue, also because the pucks generally won't last for more than a week.

chem geek said:
It's probably more realistic to assume the daily chlorine usage at 2 ppm, though this depends a lot on actual conditions and CYA level. So one week would be 14 ppm FC and 8.5 ppm CYA. So generally not a problem. For one-week trips, pucks are great to use. It's when one is gone for longer periods of time where it's more of an issue, also because the pucks generally won't last for more than a week.

Thanks for catching that, I was sloppy saying 20 ppm CYA in a week. 10 is what I actually see.

For a two week trip I do have someone come to refill the auto cholorinator with pucks, and to check the water level. Still need to clean the skimmers & Polaris every other day due to lots of trees.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.