Cal-hypo use?

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
We have a week long vacation scheduled for end of July in Florida. Lord knows it's gonna be HOT in Texas! My question concerns the use of cal-hypo tabs while we're gone vs. trichlor tabs. I have NEVER added any calcium to our fill water. Current tests only show it as around 60 ppm. Can these tabs be dssolved in the skimmer without any adverse effects such as the highly acidic trichlor tabs. I have a couple of floaters as well to fill. Any reason I should NOT consider cal-hypo tabs? Any one brand of them recommended over any others? Thanks!

You shouldn't ever put any pucks in your skimmer unless your pump is running 24/7.
Betting you'll be fine with them in floaters for a while. You can calculate how much calcium each puck will add using the pool calculator.

Definitely use the floater, even if you aren't running 24/7 (what if your house loses power while you are gone??). If you end up regularly leaving your pool for vacations, you might consider an offline chlorinator that you add the tabs to, you just have to stick with the cal-hypo tabs and not ever put tri-chlor in there because it could explode. You would also run the risk of going out of pH range with tri-chlor. I found out about BBB after I started using my chlorinator with tri-chlor :( very sad I can't switch to cal-hypo tabs without getting a replacement chlorinator...

I also use cal-hypo sometimes to shock as I have a very low CH in my vinyl lined pool, because like you, my fill water is low in CH and I never add it otherwise.

To my knowledge, there really is no EFFECTIVE tab made of Cal Hypo. Those tabs are used for septic systems and quickly become gummy and a mess if you attempt to use them in a swimming pool.

From their website....

Product Applications
• Industrial Water Treatment • Pulp & Paper
• Potable Water • Restaurant
• Private Water Supplies • Food Safety
• Industrial Cyanide Waste • Pipeline Disinfection

Oh-oh!! :shock: :shock: Nothing about swimming pools...proceed at your own risk! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You're killin' all my joy duraleigh! Which just goes to show you how much I know. I just "assumed" that a 3" calhypo puck was a common item. As I said, no prior experience with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.