New setup - need pump sizing help for remote pad

Goetzc

May 20, 2012
MN
Thank you for taking time to read this.

I recently bought and setup a 16' x 48" intex ultra frame pool. We chose the intex as a first step before we decide to go larger and possibly IG. We live in MN and have a heavily wooded backyard which gets very little sun and no decent option for solar heating.
Luckily I was able to find a good deal on a used Hayward H100 heater to heat the pool for us.

I need help picking a pump/filter. The main issue is we decided to put the equipment pad about ~40' away from the pool so it can be near the house/electric/gas. I'm planning three lengths of 1.5" pvc with the intention to have one extra just in case. I was told the cool ground will take some heat out of the water in the pipes... Would it help to wrap the return or all pipes in insulation like armaflex?

I've seen a few others with similar sized pool setups using the Intex 2650 sand filter/pump combo but their pad is right next to the pool.
Would the Intex 2650 sand filter/pump combo be a good fit given our ~40' distance or will I need a larger pump due to the extra distance/head?

I've ordered a skimmer that should be here tomorrow and plan to use it along with the existing drain and supply for two drain and one return total. I plan tee the skimmer and drain together into one 1.5" pvc.

I'm hoping to get everything setup ASAP so it can be used in the next week or two. Tall order probably but not impossible from what I've read on TFP. :)
Anything else I may be missing?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Welcome to tfp, Geotzc :wave:

Yea another Minnesotan :goodjob:

Goetzc said:
Would it help to wrap the return or all pipes in insulation like armaflex?
I would think the heating loss due to that length of piping would be minimal. My pipes run about 13 feet (X2 for both ways) and I do not get any measurable cooling. At 40 feet (X2) I would not expect much, though others may have more direct experience.

Goetzc said:
Would the Intex 2650 sand filter/pump combo be a good fit given our ~40' distance or will I need a larger pump due to the extra distance/head?
Though I have not heard of people using that filter/pump at that distance, it should be able to handle it fine. If you can, use 2" pipe at least on the supply (from pool to pump). If you want to stay with the 1.5" pipe, you could use 2 of them together for the supply and 1 for the return.

Goetzc said:
Anything else I may be missing?
Just a heads up on the heater...it will take a lot of gas to heat your pool, since water has a ton of heat capacity.

The 2650 is working quite well. It seemed to clear up the water pretty quick.
Aside from a few issues getting parameters in order from relying on the pool store tests...we were able to swim today and it was nice. I'm going to order some tests to do myself.
The heater was fired up last night for the first time and took the water from 68-85 in less than 10 hours. I read we should expect 2-3 degrees per hour given our 4900g size so we are doing well there as well.
Right now the biggest issue is getting my ph down and stable, lowering my TA and CH also.
Once I get my tf100 I'll post some numbers as it's apparent the local pool store tests are not accurate.

Any tips on how to dial in the intex swg?
Also do people us seperate(external) timers to control their swg, pump and heaters? One of my hobbies is reef aquariums and I'm pretty comfortable using a controller to automate everything and thinking of trying this with the pool too.

Goetzc said:
Any tips on how to dial in the intex swg?
The way I do it is get my FC using bleach/liquid chlorine to the FC for swg and your cya level (from poolcalculator)in the morning. Then I would set the swg for 2 or 3 hours run time and see where your at at the end of the day. Adjust from there. Right now I am running about 5 hours on a pool 2X the volume of yours. The hours can change as temp goes up or if there is more organic load.

Goetzc said:
Also do people us seperate(external) timers to control their swg, pump and heaters?
Some do, but I don't. The intex automatically comes on every 24 hours from when you turned on the power.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.