Help with new pool!!

kamoo

Apr 16, 2008
Port St Lucie FL
I want to make sure I have the pool built right without looking back saying I shouldve done this or that. I think the quote I have is a great deal, does it seem like a decent quote? Also, any ideas on equipment changes? Im leaning to adding a seperate pump for the waterfalls for more control, should it be another variable or any suggestions? Trying to go with a tumbled marble deck but that is up in the air. Last thing, the waterfall, one guy says to make a ledge in the beam for a more realistic look, the other 2 say to mortar on the side.... dont really know what to do

14x28 Free Form 3-5'
300 sq ft artistic pavers in sand
200 sq feet artistic over concrete
Matching artistic coping about 2/3 around pool
Cap rock in place of coping about 1/3 except under waterfall
Small wetdeck - enough for wife's chair
Standard swimout
Vac line
LED light
1 x 4x7 cap rock waterfall
1 x 2 x 5 cap rock waterfall
Cap rock tapering off each side of waterfall
Intelliflo VS w/ cartridge filter
Intellichlor
Lower returns for future heat?
Stonescapes Caribbean Blue (Similar to Pebbletec)
All permits, PPE and hauling
Electric Hookup not included about $600
Total $28,000 minus electric
2 others were $33k-36k also good contractors

1 pump or 2 seperate pumps?
Notched beam for waterfall or mortar stone on beam?
Tumbled marble, artistic pavers or concrete pavers? (500 sqft)
What LED light?
Suggest away Im all ears!!

Welcome to TFP!

I love the artistic pavers, durable and pretty. Your other paving options would work just fine as well.

Colorlogic lights are well reviewed.

For really dramatic flow over the waterfalls you need a second pump. It really depends on what effect you are looking for. Low flow waterfalls can be really nice but many people like to be able to get some really dramatic amounts of water coming over the waterfall.

Sounds like a very good price, if you haven't checked out the PB already then please do so. Review this thread for more info:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewtopic.php?t=9

==1 pump or 2 seperate pumps?==

As Jason said it's personal preference, but given the size of your pool unless you want a tremendous amount of water over the falls a single pump should do the job. We have an 11' x 3' waterfall and a grotto along with a bubbler on a baja shelf and it's all powered off a single Intelliflo pump. The pump runs on low speed for filtration, medium for the cleaning cycle and high speed for the water features. I highly recommend automation if you go the multi-speed pump route. We have a SunTouch system which only cost us about 450 bucks over the timeclock price (including an Intellitouch remote).

==Notched beam for waterfall or mortar stone on beam? ==

Personally I prefer the stone on top of the beam because then the stone isn't in the water. If the stone is below the waterline and there's a leak through the gunite under the stone somewhere it's a lot more difficult to repair.

==What LED light? ==

We have a Hayward Colorlogic and really like it a lot. The Pentair is supposed to be very good as well.

Signed the contract today with a few open ends but with pricing options in place. I can upgrade to tumbled marble from artistic for $1100 which I will probably end up doing. 3/4hp pentair circulation and 1.5hp for waterfall. Changed depth to 3.5 - 5.5. Just have to pick out the tile and decking. PB uses the Aquarite SWCG because of the interface being seperate from the cell, said it doesnt matter to him if I use this or the Intellichlor. I was dead set on the Intelliflo VF but am convinced on getting a seperate pump for the waterfalls since I will not be using them often and can cheaply put them on an inside switch. With this small of a pool, will I actually save any money using the VF for circulation? I might add solar which would change the scenario but may not either. I know Pentair has a power calculator but I seriously question their formula to figure this as the intelliflo draws more amps (16+) at full speed than any other of their 3hp pumps and there is no power consumption data or curve for this pump at variable speeds. I know it saves money but its not like its selling power back to the grid.

So, what are your thoughts on a few odds and ends?
Intellichlor vs Aqua Rite SWCG
Tumbled Marble Deck and Coping
Intelliflo VF vs 3/4 Whisperflo
Which LED - Hayward seems to have a bum rap but the Colorlogic looks like it is well reviewed, or do I keep it in the Pentair family??
Any other warnings, comments, suggestions, hit me up Im all ears!! Thanks

The value of the IntelliFlo in simple situations really depends on your electric rates. It will save you money on electricity, but how quickly that will pay back your initial investment on the more expensive pump varies quite a bit depending on your rates. If electricity costs you 30+ cents per kilowatt then get the IntelliFlo, if it costs you 9 cents/KW then don't, in between is a more difficult call.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.