Do sand filters need to be replaced?

May 30, 2012
I have a "Baker" sand filter; IIRC it is 24" in diameter and has a Hayward 6 position side mounted multi-port valve. I have noticed that when the pressure builds a bit in the filter, the lower pipe entering the filter from the multi-port is leaking. I was going to unscrew the fitting and replace the teflon tape but I noticed the fitting looks for a lack of a better description --sun damaged.

What will my options be if the fitting falls apart when trying to unscrew it? Replace the multi-port only? Or since the filter is at least 20 years old and could be older should I replace it too?

on edit, don't know if it matters but I replaced the pump and motor 2 years ago with a 1hp Hayward super-pump, 1-1/2" diameter plumbing.

Follow-up questions,

Is one brand of filter better than another and where is the cheapest place to purchase? Just looked at Leslie's on-line; sand filters start at $450---ouch :hammer:
For now, I'm going to make the current filter work but when it comes to replacing the filter, should I go back with sand? Are one of the other types of filters better and why?

I was looking at muntiport valves on-line yesterday and it looked like the same type of 6-position valve ranged in price from $112 to $289.

With your pump at 1.5HP, you need to look at a larger filter. A 24" filter is about maxed out with a 1HP pump. Hayward doesn't package a 1.5HP pump with a sand filter smaller than 31 inches.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.