leaky pvc pipe

Jun 27, 2011
After I opened the pool I noticed water all over the floor. I checked he pump but there was so much condensation I couldn't find the leak and was trying to clean the pool anyway as it was a swamp. Well I ran the filter for about 5 days straight and there was so much water. Then I shut it off and ran about 8 hours a day. The condensation dried up and we think we found the leak in two PVC pipe joints. We shut it off and its been 24 hours. Our pump and filter are above water level. Please help us fix this. Thanks!

Where specifically is it leaking? Those are unions. Open them up and check the condition of the o-ring inside. They just hand screw together but you may need a strap wrench to unscrew them.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Ok changed the O-rings and it didn't leak there. But there are two spots right by it that are leaking at the joints that are cemented. You can see the purple cement by it. So some sort of epoxy is out of the question? Can I just recement it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was wrong, sort of...leak elsewhere

Ok...I replaced the O-rings on the pvc and they are fine. But there is moisture around the elbow joints, with maybe the occasional drip. But the real problem is the plug on the hair strainer that goes to the pump. There were 2 plugs and I put them both in and finger tightened them as tight as they would go. Well it appears that the one on the side is the one thats leaking. At an increasingly alarming rate. First if I unscrew it (with pump not running) I'm assuming water isn't going to shoot everywhere, right? Second, how do I know if the plug is still good or not? Should I use pliers to tighten it? Please help!!!

Oh and about the moisture at the elbow...epoxy?

Repairs on the outside of PVC joints are not very effective. Better off cutting it out and starting over I think.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

PVC is easy to work with. You just need a hacksaw, fittings and some PVC glue. I tend to use primer as well, just to make sure that the joints are strong. The inlet to the pump is definitely off. You could probably reposition the pump to account for the angle apparent in the photos. It would probably be best to replace one side of the union if you can find a union that will join up properly. You need clean PVC pipe to make a good connection with the fittings, and maybe some additional 2" PVC (I'm guessing that's what it is). That being said, a leak on the suction side shouldn't leak while the pump is on. Instead, the suction would lead to air in the pump basket and if the leak were really bad, your pump would be unable to prime.

I'm not following you on the "plugs" you are describing. Are these at the bottom of pump to let water out (e.g for winterizing)? If so, it may be necessary to buy some new o-rings. Have you tried lubing them up with silicone grease?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.