Friend has SWG and does nothing else chemical wise

smooth2222

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
michigan
Friend has SWG and does nothing else chemical wise. Takes apart every year and puts back up.

What is going to happen?

Cya would be 0 for 5 month

So what will happen with 0 CYA?

Tells me the SWG generates enough chlorine to keep it at right level

It has a lot to do with how large the SWG is, how long they run their pump, and how far off the PH drifts.

If the PH drifts too far (quite far), chlorine becomes much less effective and it is over. If the pump doesn't run enough or the SWG is too small it is also over. But with enough run time and a large enough SWG and some luck on the PH they could go for quite a while. Of course the SWG will wear out much more quickly than it otherwise would because it will need to run much longer.

Don't mix up luck with things actually working.

i know nothing about SWG, is there a life span on a SWG? i have no idea what one even looks like it. lol

little research looks like a SWG lasts 3-5 years/10000 hours. so no stabilzer he has to be running it more, and the lifespan is going to be shorter/

Yup.

And if the pH drifts up ... which it will unless the TA is very low ... it will be very uncomfortable for eyes and skin to swim in.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

can i jump in?
just got my pool up and running for the first time yesterday! can i just ask what you guys are talking about? i thought i did my homework but im learning very quickly im not prepareed at all to take care of a pool. it sounds like just a swg isnt enough , can i ask what else should he/her should be doing?

solodare said:
can i jump in?
just got my pool up and running for the first time yesterday! can i just ask what you guys are talking about? i thought i did my homework but im learning very quickly im not prepareed at all to take care of a pool. it sounds like just a swg isnt enough , can i ask what else should he/her should be doing?

CYA level would be first on the list. Lack of CYA can cause chlorine to drop during the day and overworks the SWCG. pH would be next. Check out ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and Water Balance for SWCGs
for more info.

lmao! okay thanks for not killing me guys! btw ill be in pool school for the next week or two if any one needs me. :-D is there any emergency things i should be doing until i get up to speed? i filled the pool with city water added salt and im currently waiting for it to desolve before turnning the swg on should be turnning it on tonight when i get home from work. thanks so much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.