18x34 Doughboy Autumn Breeze - Finished!

Glock

Jun 3, 2012
Mesquite, Texas
I guess the best way to say hello is to explain what brought me here first. Back in 2003 I had an 18' Doughboy AG Pool. No modifications and after 4 years we sold the house and the pool when the city bought our property for commercial development. In 2004 I had a new single story home built with a larger back yard.

The wife and kids have finally gotten me to agree to a new pool. I agreed providing it was bigger, deeper, and sunk half way.

REVISED - I had already started this thread before I explored the lines in the yard and found out I was way off on what would fit. My yard is wider than it is deep. Well, now I know what will fit and I bought it today. Install is in the next 2-3 weeks at the most but could be sooner. Everyone in my house is very anxious. My PB is even delivering the pool when he comes to put it up.

Here is what I got:

Doughboy 18x34 Autumn Breeze
Misty Falls Expandable liner
24" Aquaview Filter
1.5HP Powerline pump
350lbs of sand
Coving
Install 2 feet sink with 7 ft deepend.
Zodiac Barracuda Ranger vacuum
Merlin King Aqua Staircase w/dual rails
4 bags of nutgrass killer
500 dollar coupon from Doughboy and tax exempt saved me a grand off the bottom line.

Re: New AGP Project thread

Thanks for the welcome. My dad does electrical work. He is also relocating my sprinkler system and yes, its saving me a bundle. I am getting it all for hopefully under 10k. I will be doing the hard plumbing to the pool myself and plan on making a shower on the patio so we can all shower before we get in. Still working that part out.

Just met with an unexpected setback. Looks like I have 3 sprinkler control stations and about 7 sprinkler heads to relocate. Lovely. My guy comes back Friday to determine what lines run which way to see what my options are.

:shock: Getting dirty on a blind date.... hmmmmm.... Could be fun! :mrgreen:

lol Casey.

I am in North Texas. Our pools get hot in the summer here but I confess I am entertaining a heater for winter time. Year round pool would be nice but I probably cannot afford it.

Update:
Concrete work is on hold indefinitely. We are going to lay pave stones from our patio to the pool and build a mini-deck until next year when both our cars are paid off. I still have the electrical work going in this weekend and 1 sprinkler control station being moved from under the pool site. Going Monday to pay for the pool so they can order it. I should have it in a few days and then the installer will be out to set it up.

Question to all of you with these pools. My plan is a 5 foot deep center. Should I go 6 feet? I am 6' but the others in my home are Hobbits. I don't want to have any regrets. My 18' round years ago was 4 foot and I deeply regretted no deep end. Anyone have insight on this?

One more thing. I am thinking of hard plumbing it myself to save a few bucks. I can run PVC but I do not know the requirements of plumbing. Things like traps, valves and whatnot. Anything I need to watch out for? Any parts that are a must have?

You will want union ball valves between the pool and the pump and the pool and the filter. Simple unions between major pieces of equipment are nice and make it easier to swap things out for repairs and winterizing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Oh there will be lots of pictures starting this weekend when my fat butt gets to tear down an old rusty shed and cut back a huge rose bush to make way for my new bath tub. lol I will take before and afters and everything in between.

Ball valves will be there without a doubt. I plan on burying the lines to the pool though. Do I need any loops or traps in those lines for any reason? I am also running electric to where the pump will be next to the house. I will be posting detailed plans soon to help you all visualize it as it comes together. It won't be liek the California Dreaming pool but it will be mine. :)

Dirty pictures! :mrgreen: You know, covered in fine dust and stuff!

In an effort to save a few bucks in digging your pool in a couple feet, have you considered building a deck half way up the pool's walls?

I have a 52 inch wall height and have my deck about three feet from the top edge of the wall seat caps. This way you are a couple feet up from the paver patio and a couple feet down from the top of the pool.

Actually yes. The pool is 52 high and will be planted 24" of that. for the size of the patio/deck, concrete was less expensive. I am entertaining a wood deck though. I have someone coming over after the pool is in to show me some plans and give a quote.

No traps or loops necessary for plumbing. Pipe size for the jet is 1 1/2", if you have a long run or multiple jets you might consider running 2" as far as you can to minimize resistance. Also I recommend longer radius sweep elbows, the price is a few dollars more but not signifigant for the price of your project. Search for "bonding loop" on this site for a little info for the electric set up. Your dad may know his stuff, I wasn't aware of this and I've been doing electrical work for almost 20yrs...just never on a pool. Going partial burial I might suggest insulating the bottom and maybe the outside the underground parts of the walls. Its easier to do now for the minimal cost. It will help keep some extra heat in the pool and you might extend your swim season by several weeks. I'm in Austin with full inground doughboy and solar cover and 3/4" R-max rigid insulation and the water's been above 80f since 2 days after I filled it in early April, its been 88f for a couple of weeks, looses about 1 degree overnight. Talked to a friend with his partial inground intex, his is at 77f.

Bonding. That is news to me and I suspect him too. I know my last one wasn't because I am the one who dug it up. My steps into the pool will be treated lumber. Steps in the pool ABS. So, just tag four of the legs, the water, the pump housing and end with a coil buried 18-24" away from the pool and 4-6 inches down? That about it? And I suppose it 4 legs should be evenly distributed around the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.