Hayward S-240 help (I know nothing about pools)

Jun 3, 2012
Hello TFP :D

I have a pool at my residence, which used to be my grandparents place. My grandpa always took care of the pool in the past, and as a result, I know very little about pool maintenance. My question isn't so much about the pump itself, more about the filter.

haywards240diagram.png

The red circled part of the diagram above is what I'm having issues with. I know that i need to fill it completely up with water before I turn on the pump, but as I'm filling it up with water, its exiting through the "FROM POOL" pipe. Do I have a valve in the wrong position? Or is there just not water in the line?
Thanks for any help you can give,
Nick

The control valve to the filter is set to closed.

Also, its been taking water for about 2 hours now. Seems like a lot of water if it was just refilling the lines. There is no water coming out of the backwash line.

Do you have a valve on the suction side of the pump? If so, close the valve and fill the pump basket then close the lid and put the multiport valve on filter then open the suction valve and start the pump. It might take a minute for it to prime.

If you follow the from pool line out, it splits vertically in an elbow. the pipe that goes up curves back around and ends up going down. that pipe has a valve on it with three positions, but manipulating that valve has no effect on my issue.

the pipe that goes down is the one that is taking water from the pump.

there are no other valves anywhere on the filter/pump, other than the "vari-flow control valve" which is already set to closed. its a six way valve.

You've basically been filling the pool. Take the hose out of the filter basket, put the lid on it, turn the vari-flow valve to filter, and turn the pump on. It should fill up the filter basket within a minute or so and begin to filter normally.

If things don't happen the way I noted, there's a problem and more detailed troubleshooting will be necessary.

Good luck!

hahahaha, you know, your right!

I just went outside to check everything, and noticed that my pool water levels were higher :p

It just confuses me because on the clear lid of the pump filter strainer thing, it says to fill up all the way before turning pump on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.