Safe to swim after shocking

May 20, 2012
We shocked our pool last night. I found the cya/chlorine chart to find the recommended shock level. Ours was 16. So we got up this morning and it was still 16. Is it safe to swim in today if the chlorine level stays high? I know the sun will evaporate some but how high is too high to swim in?

I was told that it was ok to swim in a pool with chlorine up to shock level. I passed my OCLT yesterday and FC was at 16 and had 4 swimmers in the pool for about 5 hours. I can assure you, there was no green hair or ruined bathing suits.

ok great thanks. it did go down because it gets full sun all the time and all other levels are fine. now we move on to maintaining the fc level around 4. do you all add bleach every day? and if I add 1 gal of bleach does it raise the fc level 1.5ppm every time I add it? we are spending alot of money on bleach.

Use the PoolCalculator.com to figure your doses. Yes, 1 gallon of 6% should raise 40K gallon pool's FC 1.5 ppm.

If your CYA is 40, you should maintain FC between 3 and 7, and never below 3. I suggest that you test and add chlorine up to about 6 or 7 each evening and retest/add FC the following evening. You'll get a good idea how much your pool uses daily.

Why did you raise your pool to shock level one time?

BTW, we would not call that "shocking your pool". Shocking is a process of maintaining elevated chlorine levels for a specific reason.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Just because it got to zero did not mean you had to raise it to shock level ... although some might suggest that you should have followed the Shocking Your Pool process until your passed the 3 tests to stop (which may have only been 1-2 days). There is a chance that you may have stuff growing since you let the FC drop and an Overnight FC Loss Test would confirm if you are OK or not.

Again, you did not "shock" the pool, but temporarily elevated the FC level ... just making sure you have been sufficiently Pool School'ed and are learning the terminology used here ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
all of our overnight tests have been fine. no loss. we have had several days of rain so we havent been using it. I "forgot" to add bleach those days and it got very low les than .5fc so i put enough in there to give a little boost. now i am maintaining 3-7 fc, testing at night, adding enough bleach to get my to next night and test again, repeat. I am wondering though, if I use my chlorinator as a back up (it hold 7 pucks) can I do that to where I am not adding bleach every single day?

Each Puck adds CYA and eventually the level gets too high to easily maintain adequate FC without massive water changes.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.