at 0 cya using trichlor to increase cya levels

Jun 26, 2011
Lakewood, NJ
I've been shocking for 2 days now, I've tested CYA 3 times and it's at 0.

I've only been using 6% bleach, I have huge bucket full of trichlor pucks that I would like to get rid of. We bought it for last years pool season and never used any since I was using the BBB method with great success. Thanks to you all!!!!

How do you recommend raising the CYA level?

Should I buy stabilizer?

Should I add trichlor pucks, and if so is there any way to introduce it to the pool quickly, perhaps by grinding it, or dropping it into the pool?

Or use 1 puck weekly in the feeder and use lots of bleach to compensate for the low CYA level?

Which idea is the safest?

Thanks,
Hannah

Thanks, I placed 4lb cya in a sock this morning, so far none has registered in a cya test.

I left it hanging in the pool in a sock, not near the skimmer or a return, is that ok?

Also, day 3 shocking and the water doesn't seem to be improving, since yesterday,it's the same cloudy, and is consuming huge amounts of chlorine, I went thru at least 15 gallons today of 6% bleach.

Here's the process:
after opening the pool, I spent the day lowering the ph to 7.6
CH=100
TA= 110
FC=0

we brushed, took out all the leaves and algae that we could scoop up with the net, and sent in the dolphin too.

this eves numbers
FC 5
CC 1.5 (gone up, it has been .5 or 1 for 2 days)
TA 70

it's been raining all day here and some of yesterday too. I've been adding bleach about 5 times a day and brushing twice a day, should I continue to shock or should I address the TA levels,
unfortunately I've misplaced my pH reagent so Leslies test today showed 7.6 pH, and their reagent is not compatible with the TFT kit. So i don't know what the pH is right now.

What to do?
My husband is not happy about the rapid bleach consumption, he thinks t here's something wrong, I told him it's normal. Is it?

Move the sock to in front of a return and then squeeze it everytime you walk by to help it dissolve.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't test the CYA again for a week. Assume it's in there and raise your shock level to match.

Keep shocking. It's normal to use a lot of bleach in the beginning of a pool opening. Take a look at some of the threads with the pics of bleach bottles used during shocking. You'll see dozens and dozens of bleach bottles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.