AGP electrical question. Stranded vs solid THHN #12

May 6, 2012
Endicott NY
I have a electrical question, does anyone know if one is better to use than the other? I have a 50 foot run and getting ready to pull it through the conduit, but have not bought the wire yet. Can I use either one? I know stranded is easier to pull, but that is not an issue. Any do's or dont's? I will be pulling 12 g THHN/THWN

Thanks,

George

If you are running a supply line to a service panel, then you should use solid, and I would recommend going with #10 instead.

You get a voltage drop over distance, and 50' is not a short span, and if you are going underground with your conduit then there will be even more loss.

#12 will work, but if you ever decide to add other loads, or increase motor size, ect. ect, then pulling heavier wire now will save you down the road.

Stranded wire from the breaker/service panel to the equipment will be fine, just make sure you size your wire properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.