1st test results - really need your help

Drockfresh

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Hello:

I a new pool owner trying to get things under control. The pool was filled 10 days ago. The pool store recommended 5 x 2" pucks in a floater and 2 x 2" pucks in the skimmer (I know - no more tabs) and the pool service company did the chemicals a few days ago and said I could "shock" with 4 bottles of chlorox (which I did). I read at pool school, ordered the TF-100 test kit, and got it yesterday, trying to figure all this out - here are the results:

FC: 10
CC: 0
TC: 10
pH: 7.2
TA:70
CH: 110
CYA: 0 (I did the test twice - patiently - not sure if I did it correctly) :shock:

Questions:

1. Should I follow the targets on the pool calculator?

2. Should I pull the tabs out of the pool?

3. Should I.....well.......what should I do?? :roll:

4. Can I swim in my pool or is it dangerous at these levels?

The pool is cloudy and greenish - very ugly - really need some help!!!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!

David

Surprised no one has responded yet...it's been almost 8 minutes. Yes, I would follow the targets on the pool calculator but you need to get some CYA in your water if it is at 0. You are going to have to go through the shocking process so I would not raise CYA to much over 30 until you are done shocking. You can use the pool tabs to raise your CYA but I would head to the store and purchase some to get it up a little quicker. There is a good "how to" on doing the CYA test that I will try to locate and post for you.

The # of pucks you've added would work out to a CYA of only around 20 which may not register on the test-especially if they haven't fully dissolved yet. Are they trichlor pucks? If it's cliudy and greenish, you know you should shock following pool school. The rest of your numbers look good for now.

I was watchin' Aliens!...........gimmee a break on the 8 minutes!

woodyp said:
The # of pucks you've added would work out to a CYA of only around 20 which may not register on the test-especially if they haven't fully dissolved yet. Are they trichlor pucks? If it's cliudy and greenish, you know you should shock following pool school. The rest of your numbers look good for now.

I was watchin' Aliens!...........gimmee a break on the 8 minutes!

This time 8 minutes works for me - but I expect my free advice quicker next time :mrgreen:

I double checked - it is actually 3" Chlorine tabs - Step 2: Sanitizer - from Leslie's. Sorry bout that.

One 1 of the tabs is slightly dissolved - the other six of of them are intact.

duraleigh said:
Drockfresh,

Have you told us what your pool water looks like?? Clear? CLoudy?

(I was taking my seasoned citizens nap and couldn't post 'til now :wave: )

Dave - no napping today - this is important stuff :-D

My wife is gonna start asking why I broke the swimming pool :whip:

The water is green and cloudy - it was clear a few days ago :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1) Shock level is 10 when CYA is zero. You should raise CYA to 30 as soon as possible. Shocking is much easier with some CYA in the water.
2) All of your other levels are fine for now. Don't worry about them until you have taken care of the algae.

JasonLion said:
1) Shock level is 10 when CYA is zero. You should raise CYA to 30 as soon as possible. Shocking is much easier with some CYA in the water.
2) All of your other levels are fine for now. Don't worry about them until you have taken care of the algae.

How do I quickly raise my CYA? I have the 3" pucks dissolving - but that's it - is there something I can get from the pool store to raise it up quickly?

I am done shocking and the pool looks great - Thanks all for the help!

Here are the numbers:

FC = 4
CC = >0.5
CYA = 40
TA = 90
CH = 120

What do you think of these stats?

Thanks,
David

PS - Loving the pool - Here's a pic (not sure how to rotate the picture but you get the idea :):

Attachments

• poolphoto1.jpg
    poolphoto1.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 31
PH = 7.2 :party: :party: :party:

Ok - so I read about the daily pool maintenance - but not sure what to do other cleaning the pool and adding chlorine.
This is my plan:

1. Check FC daily - add chlorine daily to keep at 4PPM
2. Check the PH daily -> Do I have do anything with Baking soda or Borax?

Thanks,
David

Do I have do anything with Baking soda or Borax?
Yes. While consuming an adult beverage by your beautiful pool, you are assigned to read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. In that article (among other good information) you will find out why you don't currently need those two items. :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.