In ground pool with no main drain

jk7228

Jun 3, 2012
Austin, TX
Our PB wants to sell us an upgrade to a pool without a main drain.

It consists of a Hayward ecostar variable speed pump, low returns for better circulation, and 2 skimmers. This will be for an inground pool approximately 33 x 17.

Is this a good option? Can you really achieve enough circulation without a main drain? Any advice would be appreciated.

For a fairly standard pool without any waterfalls or other major water features, a variable speed pump is only worth it if your electric rates are $0.20/kwh or higher. Otherwise you will never pay back the extra up front costs. With low electric rates a two speed pump is a much better choice.

While it can be really nice to have a main drain sometimes, it certainly isn't required and does not affect the pump choice.

My pool also has only one skimmer and two returns, and while it works, there are many times I wish it had a main drain, so much so that I am strongly considering doing a major renovation next time it needs a new liner, and part of that will be adding a main drain. As to the pump, you might consider getting a 2 speed pump, they are considerably cheaper than the variable speed models.

I like having a drain.

It always seems to happen that just after I vacuum and put everything away I spot one or two pieces I missed. So I set things to pull from the drain and gently brush the stuff downhill to it, and it gets sucked away.

Normally I get maybe 30% from the drain. I don't have that temperature stratification some pool have. Low returns would probably accomplish the same thing.

My pool is a 28 x 14 and we have two main drains, 4 returns, 1 skimmer and two jet spas in the steps. I am glad we got the main drains as they are handy pumping off water when we get a lot of rain. With out a main drain how do you pump out excess water?

Malibu07 said:
My pool is a 28 x 14 and we have two main drains, 4 returns, 1 skimmer and two jet spas in the steps. I am glad we got the main drains as they are handy pumping off water when we get a lot of rain. With out a main drain how do you pump out excess water?

From the skimmer - you never want to drain below the working level of the skimmer anyway

Thanks to everyone for all the info. I don't think I'm going to go with this PB. Another one I met with quoted me all Pentair products with a choice of a 2 speed Whisperflo or a Challenger. I felt like the no main drain wasn't really an "upgrade" anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.