Adding chemicals directly to the skimmer

May 27, 2012
Atlanta, GA
JasonLion said:
Sure start with 2.4 kg, wait a week, find out where you ended up, and adjust from there if needed.

I would put the CYA in a sock (or stocking) and put the sock in a skimmer (as long as it doesn't completely block the skimmer).

I have seen this method of distribution mentioned many times on the forum.
I was wondering, my pump manual and SWG manual both say NEVER add chemicals directly to the skimmer.
Could this method be bad for my Intex setup? (it's not a sand filter, it is a filter cartridge type A or C w/skimmer basket)
Am I better to suspend the sock near the output nozzle?

Thanks for any advice! :)

CYA is the only chemical that we ever recommend adding to the skimmer, and even then the sock in front of a return jet approach does have some advantages.

In the Intex manual they are are talking about pouring directly into the skimmer, so the chemicals go directly into the filter. The sock method I mentioned is different, the CYA doesn't actually accumulate in the filter the way it would if you added it directly to the skimmer.

You can do it either way, but the sock in the skimmer approach is easier and usually dissolves more quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.