Question for those with in wall skimmers . .even mods

Jul 19, 2011
Ever since putting in an in-wall skimmer (I did hydrotools widemouth mod on intext 16x42). . I am noticing I frequently now have to bleed air out at my intex 2650 pump/sand filter. I do this by slightly unscrewing the lid for the strainer basket on the intex pump until it bleeds out then tighten it back. I am wondering if waves/splashing that goes through the skimmer introduces air. I never had the issue with the standard pool inlet or the above wall intext skimmer. I did put the door on the skimmer that floats the door up when not running but it still swings open and waves make it all the way through the skimmer. Any ideas, suggestions, or advice would be welcome.
Phil

Two most common problems with skimmers causing air in the pump, is not having the water level high enough and having the weir door stuck closed(not free floating).

What is the height of your skimmer opening and where is the water level on it?

Is your weir door swinging freely?

When it's running do you have a vortex forming in the skimmer? I did, and it was causing the problem you describe. I made a "vortex breaker" by placing a short piece( 6") of 1" PVC pipe into the skimmer on an angle that prevents the vortex from forming and introducing air into the system.

jerallen said:
When it's running do you have a vortex forming in the skimmer? I did, and it was causing the problem you describe. I made a "vortex breaker" by placing a short piece( 6") of 1" PVC pipe into the skimmer on an angle that prevents the vortex from forming and introducing air into the system.

I'm not sure what a vortex looks like. I have seen a little tornado/whirlpool in it. I thought that was normal. Never had a skimmer before.

PhilGillis said:
jerallen said:

I'm not sure what a vortex looks like. I have seen a little tornado/whirlpool in it. I thought that was normal. Never had a skimmer before.

tornado/whirlpool = vortex.

There should not be one. Are you able to reduce the flow from the skimmer? if not, you may need to use the trick mentioned above.

jblizzle said:
PhilGillis said:
jerallen said:

tornado/whirlpool = vortex.

There should not be one. Are you able to reduce the flow from the skimmer? if not, you may need to use the trick mentioned above.

Ok. No way currently to regulate. I'm having a hard time visualizing what you did. Thanks for the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.