Soda Blasting material as a cheap source of baking soda

brianf

Jun 2, 2012
I'm just getting started with my first pool and intend to follow the BBB method. I searched around but haven't found anyone talking about purchasing baking soda used for soda blasters instead of arm & hammer boxes at the grocery store. I happen to have a soda blaster and I purchase 30lb bags for about $30 from harbor freight. As far as I know, this is straight up sodium bicarbonate, so it seems to me like it should be fine. I wouldn't bake a cake with it, but is there any reason not to use it in my pool?

Nice. For what it's worth, the ARMEX MSDS and other materials talk about flow and anti clumping agents that are included to keep the soda from clogging in the blaster. I'm not willing to swim in unknown chemicals if I can help it ;-)

Here in Arizona, Leslie's bought out Shasta earlier this year. They sell sodium bicarbonate for $80 per 50lb (more twice the old Shasta price) and call it "Alkalinity Up". Screw that. And apparently the people here know it, because there's plenty of "Alkalinity Up" in stock but almost no sodium bicarb to be had. The last resort is food grade Wal-Mart baking soda in 2lb boxes, $1.27 each (regular price). This is competitive with the old 50lb bag prices (and more convenient too!). So too bad if you want to bake a cake with the stuff, because I just bought out their entire stock to put in my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.