Hayward Perflex DE EC65 no suction

Jun 2, 2012
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and a fairly new pool owner...this thing's been kicking my butt for the past 4 years now. We just switched out our very old DE filter for an EC65. Thing is, the filter has suction as it's filling up with water but, once it fills, you can see the suction decrease drastically to almost nothing. We tore it completely apart to see if there was any blockages, nothing. We turned on the pump to make sure it was pulling water in and it's all good there. Seems like it gets airlocked or something once it fills up. Any suggestions?

Something is WRONG here the filter should be on the pressure side of the pump.

It should go like this :

Pool
skimmer/drain
pump basket/pump
filter
heater and or SWG if you have one
return line to the pool

Not sure if there is a picture I can not see on my phone leading to the equipment order response.

I was going to ask if you are opening the air vent on the top of the filter to let the pump fill it with water. Also you do have a return to the pool open right?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thanks all for the quick responses. The filter is after the pump. I only put that in to eliminate the pump as the issue. It's sucking water in like it should. The pressure builds up to between 15-20 lbs. But, once the pressure stabilizes the suction just dies off. There is water coming out of the returns but, not with the pressure that is should have. I do leave the air vent open until it spits out a stream of water. Then, once i see that the suction has dwindled down, if I open the air vent, it has suction and it would suck air into the filter, even if the pump was running. Seems like it's building up an air lock somewhere. We've torn it apart, cleaned the fingers and cannot see any clogs anywhere.

20' x 40' gunnite ig
Hayward Perflex E65
Aquabot T2 Turbo robotic cleaner

Opening the air vent on the filter can not suck air in unless you have something plumbed incorrectly.

Yes, I was very careful to add just 6lbs of DE. My brother in law is a plumber so this evening, we took the filter apart completely and put the empty housing back together. We ran the pump to see if it would hold suction and pressure. It does not, so part of it could be the fingers but, somewhere, somehow, this filter is losing suction. Not sure what could be causing that. I don't see any leaks anywhere. Puzzled.

Well I don't see why you keep talking about suction, it should never see suction, only pressure, and a pressure leak is easy to spot, it is where the water is. What size is your old pump, An EC65 is likely to need around a 1HP? Have you downloaded the installation instructions from Hayward? When you installed the pump did you maybe put the duckbill one way valve into the base of the filter backwards?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm sorry, I'm using the wrong terminology. I'm saying suction because there's no water being pulled into the filter like it should be. I just said the heck with it and bought a new EC75A. Should be here in a few days. We'll see if that sucker does the trick. I'm fed up with this 65.

Again water should not be pulled into the filter... it is pushed.

Hopefully your new filter will help, but not if it is a plumbing issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.