How many use ladder mats?

Jul 3, 2011
Central NC
Ladder mats seem like a really good idea but I haven't bought one yet. I bought a cover pillow that we aren't going to use and I thought about carving that up to make one since the pillow was about the same price or less anyway. Anything that I should know about specifically? It doesn't seem like a bad idea to have that extra protection there just in case. We've only used our ladder a few times on this liner so I should have some time to go one way or the other. Thanks!

A "ladder mat" no, I don't have one. A mat for my ladder? Yes, I use one. I have a piece of 3/8" rubber mat from Tractor Supply for something else. It is similar to a pickup truck bed mat, but those are usually 3/4". I cut a 12" wide piece and put it under the legs of the ladder. I would have thought like everything else, a mat specifically sold for pools would be stupidly expensive, though looking, doesn't seem to be the case. My $5 chunk of rubber mat works well enough though.

Thanks for the responses so far all. Perhaps I'm overly concerned about my liner. It would add an extra step to maintenance but it shouldn't be real bad.

My ladder wouldn't hold it because it still wants to float a little. Must still have some air in it. I'm going to try and remedy that today and throw something under there. Thanks all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
kplaster said:
Never had any luck with the mat..But,I do use tub mat with the suction cup's on the bottom..Work's very well.&it stay's where you put it.I've custom cut mine to fit under each step bottom.

I might have to try this. I hope that I can find a spot on the bottom that I can stick the cups to that will actually stay there. :)

moze229 said:
kplaster said:
Never had any luck with the mat..But,I do use tub mat with the suction cup's on the bottom..Work's very well.&it stay's where you put it.I've custom cut mine to fit under each step bottom.

I might have to try this. I hope that I can find a spot on the bottom that I can stick the cups to that will actually stay there. :)
O'h it will stick..Get the clear one's from walmart."heavy duty" tub mat..Buy 1& cut it to size.Have one on each side of the step's..They are clear so they don't stand out.Last forever.

Highlandreef said:
I have one also, got it for under 10 bucks from local pool store. Just a flat piece of blue rubber like mat.
cheap insurance IMO
I got one & said it was a accident waiting to happen.Would never stay down under step's..Kid's get to playing & getting the water to moving&then it was out of there.The bathtub mat was the best couple dollar's spent&it stay's where I put it.Now if I could just make a couple dollar's on the thing's I find that work..Well,maybe save some dollar's..lol

kplaster said:
Highlandreef said:
I have one also, got it for under 10 bucks from local pool store. Just a flat piece of blue rubber like mat.
cheap insurance IMO
I got one & said it was a accident waiting to happen.Would never stay down under step's..Kid's get to playing & getting the water to moving&then it was out of there.The bathtub mat was the best couple dollar's spent&it stay's where I put it.Now if I could just make a couple dollar's on the thing's I find that work..Well,maybe save some dollar's..lol

Just buy a bunch of them, change them somehow, and sell them on Ebay as something else. People do that kinda stuff all the time. Just make yourself a couple bucks on 'em. The only thing limiting you would be your sales ability. That's why I don't sell anything. :)

I know this has nothing to do with pools, but there was one individual that had "made" a product for working on hunting and target bows and was selling them for quite a bit. It was constructed with individual mounting parts made by Ram Mounts. He was buying the parts for like $40.00, taking 10 minutes to put them together, and then selling them for $120.00. He sold a LOT of them. He may still be selling them. I caught onto his scheme though because I'm intimately familiar with Ram Mounts products and built one of my own for $40.00. I just stole his idea. :) Once I saw the pics of what he was selling I knew immediately what he was doing.

I bought a tub mat. Gonna get it into the pool whenever we get in next, which probably won't be for the next couple of weeks. Just like the strange sudden warmth a month early this year, this week we seem to be having a April month in June so the water temp tanked too low on us again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.