American Products Company 3915

Jul 12, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I'm trying to replace a light bulb, but before I did, I wanted to make sure I for the right one. I pulled the fixture, hoping to get some information from the fixture, but tree only thing I found wras a very faint engraving on the lens, reading American Parts Company 3615. Anyway to tell the size of the light bulb from that?

I figured it was 120 volts, since I didn't see a transformer anywhere. After doing a few searches, it might be an older-style Amerlite, which can take 300, 400, or 500 watt bulbs. At least, it has a cone shape, and I found a manual for the Amerlite that looks kind of like my light, with a 3615 model number. I know that you are supposed to replace it with the same wattage, but do you think there will be a problem if I crack it open and find out it's holding a 300 watt bulb, when I picked up a 500 watt replacement? I can't find a store nearby that stocks the bulbs, so I have to order them online.

You shouldn't have a problem putting a 500 watt bulb if it's a 300 watt light. However, depending on where the bulb is pointing (such as towards your bedroom, 500 watts will be brighter and may put out too much light into you house.
Rule of thumb, replace the lens gasket whenever you replace the bulb.
Again, the bulb should have the exact information you need marked on the bulb. While it's opened, IF YOU'RE COMFORTABLE WITH ELECTRICITY, you can put a meter on the contacts to determine if it's 120volts or 12 volts. Sometimes the circuit panel will have the light transformer. For all practical purposes, you can stick a standard household light bulb temporarily, for testing purposes. If it's 12 volts, the house light bulb will not light up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.