First test results - please help - very high CH

May 28, 2012
Hello,

Here are first test results with the TF-100 test kit.

Ph = 8.2 (too high, correct?)
FC = couldn't do because I'm missing R-870 Powder.
T/A = 110
CH = 110*10 = 1100 (very high, right?)
CYA = <20 (like 10)

Pool water is looking a little cloudy and I can tell needs attention. We have a Safe-T 3 pool cover which is closed 90% of the time. This keeps the sunlight out and the temp at 80%. We moved into this house 3 weeks ago and pool was last serviced just before we moved in by their pool guy on 5/16.

Both Ph and T/A need to be lowered based on my reading and CYA should be increased. What do I do about the very high CH?
Thank you

Where are you located?

I wouldn't add anything until you verify that CH reading. If it really is 1100 you need to test your fill water and see what it is in it and if it's not very high you need to drain a lot of water to get the CH to a manageable level.

Ewok500 said:
We're in San Diego. I'll do the test again to be sure and if I get the same result then I'll take necessary action.
Do the test with a 10 ml sample. Saves a lot of reagent.

10 ml sample. 10 drops R-0010. 3 drops R-0011. Then count the R-0012 and multiply by 25 to get your reading. I'd start with 20 drops, and mix it for about 3 minutes, then add drops two at a time swirling for a minute at least each time. When it starts to turn purple, slow it down to one drop at a time and swirl a minute apiece.

Unless you have a speedstir.

looks like I just lost my reply... retyping.
I did the test again this morning using the 10ml approach. I got a score of 950 - still very high. I then tested the fill water and got a score of 450. (we have hard water down here).
What are my options for correcting this? and how quickly could it have reached this level. Apparently the last time the pool was serviced was only on 5/16.

thanks!

With your fill water CH level being that high you are going to really struggle with CH build up (water evaporates but the Calcium stays behind). There are a number of us in So Cal that have down spouts directed at the pool to collect rain water and pump out 4 to 6 inches of water before a big storm. I've done this the past couple seasons and it has worked out quite well.

With no rain likely for a 6 months you might want to consider reverse osmosis. It's a little expensive - but that will give you a fresh start CH wise and with a full cover you wont be adding nearly as much high CH fill water as some of us.

The combo of high CH, high TA and high PH is really going to reek havoc on your salt cell. You should get your PH down to 7 - 7.2 as soon as possible while you work through your options.

Thanks - he can't come until Thursday this week. and I'm concerned about leaving the Ph where it is until then. Should I seek to decrease the Ph now? If yes, then with Muriatic acid?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.