Landscaping around base of Intex Ultra Frame pools

Taterfink

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2012
NE Florida
Looking for inspiration! :idea:

I am trying to plan how to finish / landscape around the base of my Intex Ultra Frame pool. Rubber mulch seems a likely choice as it wouldn't puncture or rub holes in the pool. Anyone have any ideas? or maybe some pictures of how they finished off the "look"? There are loads of pictures of the pool, the water and the equipment pads but, precious few of the base of the pool walls.

If you have pictures to share, I'll love you forever! Any tips on keeping it all in place once you get the goodies on the ground? I've never used that black rubber edging stuff from the garden center. Does it work? or is it more of a pain than it's worth?

I'd like to use some landscaping stones on the outside of the mulch/rocks/whatever's making it pretty. But may need something more cost effective for this year.

MAN! i was hopeing this thread was going to go crazy with pics and post! Ive been trolling around myself looking for pics, a few things ive seen, one guy did like a small boardwalk type thing i thought looked great but i just seen it in his avatar pic. it was like 2 maybe 3 feet wide and goes around his whole pool. looks like reagular deck planks, looks very cool.
another did mulch but i also couldnt realy tell how he did it or with what type. it did appear that he put a small boarder right up against the supports of the pool and the another boarder about 2 feet around that with the mulch in the middle. from the video it looks great and you can barley see the inside boarder. again it was a video on youtube and didnt realy mention the mulch,

when i try to do something with mine ill repost here.

solodare, I am so sorry. I realized AFTER I posted this that I should have said "Looking for inspiration" or something similar.

esim13, You have a beautiful set up!

The Intex pools pose a particular set of landscaping problems. They have soft sides and I am afraid that regular mulch may poke a hole thru the liner. I read somewhere in the forum that one person put the black rubber landscaping border around the legs with zip ties and another border further out. I think I like this idea to keep stuff away from the liner but am concerned that it will hold water (we get tons of rain in the summer). There is a product for ponds that is similar to a sponge that you can put in stagnant water that prevents mosquitoes from breeding so I thought about getting some of that to put behind the border, next to the liner just as a preventative measure. Then another border further out and fill the gap with either mulch or rock (my personal preference). Tho in Florida, we have to import rocks. We have lots of sand here but not so many rocks. Anyway, this is what I've come up with so far. But as I type, I think that the rocks sure would hold a lot of heat. The mulch would be cooler and it would absorb any stagnant water that would surely result from splash-out and rain. Just brain storming.

In the last picture you can see white rocks behind the mulch. I put them inbetween my posts and dirt/mulch in front of them. If I had to do it again I'd put another green border in front of the rocks. I'm not having any trouble but some of the mulch keeps getting on the rocks and it just bothers me. LOL!

PS. I haven't had any stagnant water.. the plants, dirt and mulch usually soak it up.

I missed the rocks! Nice definition. :goodjob:

It's good to know that the mulch / plants and dirt do in fact soak up the water. If I ever get the pool full (the water has been running for 7.5 hours and I'm up to about 1 foot of water) and the sun ever comes out and dries up all the rain, maybe I'll get a chance to see what can be done. Right now I have a soggy tarp and dirt all around the pool. When my pool grows up it wants to be a hard side pool like yours. :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The gravel are round and we didn't push it up under the curve of the liner. Even when you stand in the pool on the curve you don't feel any of the stone. Just don't lay the stone until the pools full and don't push it under the liner and you should be fine!

homeandgarden019.jpg
I have a small walkway around the very base of my pool, but the rest is landscaped with shrubbery and roses and such. I left a space so that I can walk around with the leaf net skimmer and put in my chemicals without stepping on bushes and pinestraw.

Y'all's pools look soooo inviting! So neat and clean and crisp! :goodjob:

We've been getting heavy rain fall ever since I set my pool up. :grrrr: The ground around it is soggy and the tarps have puddles on them. My point is that I have an incredibly long journey before me in order to even come close to the bar you've set. I'll need to smooth out some of the dirt / debris from what we removed from the pool spot. I'll need to re- sod part of the yard around the pool, as the puppies need some grass to visit each day. It sure is going to be nice to be able to cool off after a hard day at yard work tho. :whoot: :party:

Taterfink, just so you know.........I have had this pool area now for 8 years. It sure didn't start out looking this way. I am retired so I have every day to tinker with it and keep it looking neat. But I love it more every year and it fits me to a "T" as I am a petite frame person and it is just right for little ole me!

I have the brown rubber mulch. I do not smell anything when it gets hot. My pool is very close to the house too and never smelt anything bad. It does get hot very quickly though. I try not to walk on it barefoot for very long. I still need to finish putting some more stepping stones down.

By the way ROLL TIDE!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.