Hi,

The water in the pool is clear.

Our first test results -

Free Chlorine 7
Combined Chlorine .4
PH 7.4
Alkalinity 90
CYA 50-ish

I'm kind of doubting the CYA number, because I would have thought it would have been quite higher. Should the Free Chlorine level bring the combined chlorine down to 0 by the next time we check? What if it doesn't?

I kind of want to bring the water test to the local pool store to check on the numbers, but if there are some that are different I wouldn't know which test to trust. Appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

If FC has been low and you just raised it to 7, then chances are the CC level will be down to normal by this evening. If it isn't, you will need to shock the pool.

Always trust your own testing. Even with the occasional mistake you will still be much more accurate than the average pool store.

I recommend doing the FC/CC test so that each drop is 0.5, instead of 0.2. That will save on reagents and still give you all the precision you actually need.

On the CYA test, remember that the black dot should completely disappear, as if it was never there even if your stare at it for several seconds.

Jason,

Thank you for the response. I'm more confident now in my CYA number doing the test again.

Anyway, the CC level was still above zero, so I went through the shock process with the bleach. Then, I did the OCLT last night and got interesting results. My free chlorine I tested at 11.5 at 9 PM. At 3 AM I tested the free chlorine at close to 13. I think my tests were accurate, I got the water samples from the pool the same way. After putting in the 2 dippers in the initial sample, the first test the color changed to pink. The second test the color changed to red. Not sure if this matters, just wanted to give all information.

I did not touch the pool till well before 30 minutes of taking the chlorine test. However, I think it may be the pool filter alone hadn't been circulating the chlorine well enough? I added the bleach slowly at the return. And the filter continued to run. However, the pool is entirely the same depth and circulation may not be great. I think I should plan on using the pool brush to get the pool circulating better after adding the bleach. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up already. Does my thinking make sense with what happened? Should I plan on doing the OCLT test again?

Stonedrie said:
Hi,

The water in the pool is clear.

Our first test results -

Free Chlorine 7
Combined Chlorine .4
PH 7.4
Alkalinity 90
CYA 50-ish

I'm kind of doubting the CYA number, because I would have thought it would have been quite higher. Should the Free Chlorine level bring the combined chlorine down to 0 by the next time we check? What if it doesn't?

I kind of want to bring the water test to the local pool store to check on the numbers, but if there are some that are different I wouldn't know which test to trust. Appreciate the advice.

Thanks!
remember if you redo the CYA test you dont need to use fresh reagent. Just pour the stuff from the testing tube with the dot back into the mixing bottle and try the test again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.