Pittsburgh, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hello, My pool install will be beginning shortly, and I'm planning to add a salt water generator. While my pool company had quoted me $1,400, I found the Aqua Rite 40k gallon model for $875 on ebay. I believe my pool, an 18x36, will be around 25,000 gallons. Am I safe to go with the larger model? I don't want the pool installer to say I can't use the generator I bought. Thanks.

Definitely get a 40k cell for a 25k pool. We recommend over sizing 1.5-3 times your pool size.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

The larger size is cell is the way to go, but you might check with your builder to see if their system was going to be used to automate the pool (control pumps, valves, heaters...). If so the Aqua Rite may not be the best choice.

gordiec said:
The larger size is cell is the way to go, but you might check with your builder to see if their system was going to be used to automate the pool (control pumps, valves, heaters...). If so the Aqua Rite may not be the best choice.

Why is that? What is wrong with the Hayward Pro Logic automation system?

jblizzle said:
gordiec said:

Why is that? What is wrong with the Hayward Pro Logic automation system?

Good point! There is nothing wrong with it (as far as I know...), but does it come with the Aqua Rite for $875? I probably should have stated that the two systems be compared side-by-side to see which was the better fit for their needs, rather than just compare the price tags.

Am I making a bad move without the pro logic system? I'm not sure that I want to spend that much more on this right now. I am pretty green when it comes to pool maintenance. This is my first pool and I was hoping to shave off a few bucks as costs keep growing.

If you do not care about moving valves or turning a bunch of stuff on and off ... then you to not need the pro logic.

But if you even just have solar and a SWG. Then I think the pro logic is cheaper than buying a solar controller and the aqua rite.

The recommendation is a cell sized 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. If the 40K is not much more, it will work for a smaller pool and should last longer.

The nice thing about the Hayward SWG is that the % setting is fully adjustable, unlike the system that will only adjust in increments of 20% unless you have their automation system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You adjust with pump run time and % setting. The % setting is the % of time that the cell is actually generating (not a % power).

So a 10% setting for 5 hour pump run time will actually generate for 30 minutes
A 50% setting for 1 hour pump run time will also generate for 30 minutes and produce the same amount of FC.

The Hayward SWG is continuously adjustable via a dial from 0% to 100% ... so you can certainly get the production low enough even with a long pump run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.