When to open the pool vs just turning on the pump.

michiele

LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
Last year, we had a pool maintenance guy open our pool. He came in March and turned on the pump, but left the cover on. Then, he didn't come back until mid May to take the cover off. This year, we are opening the pool ourselves. It has been so cold this spring, there is no thoughts of swimming yet. Is there any reason to turn on the pump early, before we actually take the cover off? I am thinking of ignoring the pool until it warms up a little more in a couple of weeks. But, I am not sure if I should go ahead and turn the pump on and open everything with the cover on. What is the purpose of doing that? Thanks!

Others that close their pool (I don't) will have better advice.

I would almost consider uncovering and pump on as two things that go hand in hand. My thinking is you uncover to see what you've got and then you turn on the pump to start fixing it.

One without the other wouldn't seem to be as productive.....again, that's the voice of INexperience.

I remove my cover when I open, even though it's way to cold to swim. The downside is that leaves and debris get blown in during spring storms and windy days. The upside is I can vacuum the winter's crud and worms out so I can maintain chlorine levels and add acid or whatever is required without worrying about a cover. It also looks better to see water out there.

I turn the pump on the day before I am going to remove the cover, just so I know that the pump is working and there wasn't any freeze damage. I don't want to have to cover things up again after discovering that the plumbing is broken. Some people like to double check how the water balance is with the cover on, and it is best to run the pump for a little while before testing the water. Other than that there aren't very many reasons to run the pump with the cover on.

Thanks. That is kind of what I was thinking. I don't see any reason to run the pump with the cover on, but I was wondering if I was missing an obvious reason. It does make since to go ahead and turn on the pump a day before to make sure the water is circulated and to make sure everything is working. Thanks again.

i think it would depend on what kind of cover you have
my parents have a loop-loc but they do not backwash often enough so the pool takes to long to clear i will this weekend turn on the motor and get chlorine into it so when i remove the cover in 2-3 weeks the pool just needs a vac and i dont have to clear up a green swamp

As the poster above indicated, if you have a mesh cover, getting some circulation and chlorine in the pool early can prevent algae buildup. The mesh cover lets in some sunlight. Getting the circulation going and putting chlorine in the pool will help keep algae away until you open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.