Critique Plumbing/Skimmer, please

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
I am attempting to modify/pimp an Intex Ultra. Today my freelance Pool Boy came and plumbed the pool to a suite of Pentair equipment. He also added a thru-wall skimmer. The intent was to plumb it so that I can bypass the heater. He also wanted to add the thru-wall skimmer and also make use of the original suction hole to be a second suction point (I think for anti-entrapment insurance and not sure if also to prevent the pump from ever running dry).

I know nothing, so my questions may not make sense. But in looking at his work, I am wondering if:
1. The skimmer is too high -- I had asked him to place it so I could have water at 38" as the lowest "working" level and if there is play in the level, to make it so I can add water such that I could toggle between 38" and 40ish" -- basically, he knew at 39" my daughter can't touch and I want her to be able to touch until she's ready for the water to be higher. He had told me there is about 2" of range in water height, so that is why I asked it to be placed this way. I'm afraid it is too high and my daughter won't be able to touch in order to have it high enough in the skimmer. In the attached picture, the water height is 38" and it is hard to see, but it is barely to the second screw of the skimmer - there is water in the bucket part of the skimmer on the backside of the wall with the water at this height. (note, the plumbing is not yet attached to the pool, so there has been no suction yet).
[attachment=2:1rwbtay4]IMG_2281.jpg[/attachment:1rwbtay4]

2. The way he has the holes, the return from the heater is placed in between the skimmer and the second suction port. The return is 48" from the skimmer and 71" from the second (lower) suction port. Is this placement a problem? Seems like the water from the return will not really circulate throughout the pool, but, rather, will just get sucked in one of the two suctions and really only circulate a small area. Hoping I'm wrong!

3. On another recent thread, I saw someone question whether a heater bypass should be installed and it seemed like people thought that if one is to be installed, something should be done to address not letting stagnant water sit in the heater -- is my set up okay in this regard? If not, what should I ask PB to change? Here is a shot of the equipment pad.
[attachment=1:1rwbtay4]IMG_2279.jpg[/attachment:1rwbtay4]

Here is my best attempt at a diagram showing the set up. Sorry for its crudeness -- first attempt at such a thing. The yellow things are unions. Blue line is water out of pool. Red line is water into pool from heater (or filter, if heater is being bypassed).
[attachment=0:1rwbtay4]image001.png[/attachment:1rwbtay4]

Thanks, and please help so I can tell PB tomorrow if all is okay or if I need changes.

Attachments

• IMG_2281.jpg
    IMG_2281.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_2279.jpg
    IMG_2279.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 377
  • image001.png
    image001.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 372
1) Your pool is currently right around the minimum water depth for that skimmer. So if the water is at 38" now then he did exactly what you asked him to do.
2) Not a problem at all, in fact that is a very common setup. The return jet will push the water well away from the skimmer without any trouble.
3) I don't see much point in having a heater bypass, but if you are going to have one then your setup is very reasonable. You want all three valves, which you do have, while many people try to get away with just one valve (which can cause problems).

No ducks, but sadly, fewer bats since I started putting on the solar cover. Coincidence?? Maybe my imagination, but seems like there are already more mosquitoes!! Dilemma -- warm water, or lots of bug bites??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.