Drain or save?

Apr 21, 2012
Filled an 18x52 Intex above ground (6000 gal) w/swg and sand filter. No salt was added and pump developed a leak before I was called away for three weeks. Upon returning, water is lite green w app two feet of visibility and sides are moderately slimy. Pool is currently 3/4 full.
Should I drain and start over? If not, what is the approved solution? Nothing has been added to the water and I live in Texas where current day temps are over 90.

I opened my intex to a black/green soup nasty mix. I literally couldn't see anywhere. With some scooping, a bunch of bleach, some vacuuming, some backwashing, etc my pool is gorgeous now. I hate to think of draining that much water. If you don't have one, buy a good test kit. You'll save yourself a lot of money and time!

You asked about the solution.

Read up in Pool School, get a FAS-DPD test kit, fix the pump (in that order, the first two can be done tonight online). Then read pool school again, paying special attention to the "clearing a green swamp" and "how to shock your pool" sections, profess your undying love and affection to TFP and a commitment to following the instructions within, buy bleach, hope your test kit arrives sooner than later or wing it with pool store results, and begin the shocking process. Read pool school. Read the forum. Find out what others did that caused setbacks or success, and decide what you are or aren't going to do. Read pool school...

All kidding aside... read pool school. (seriously, it takes a few passes to make good sense) :~}

Don't put salt in, or turn the SWG on just yet. You're going to be doing this like you don't have a SWG for now.

Ask questions here. Get a FAS-DPD test kit... yeah, do that first.

Thanks or all the great posts! So fast! Okay, reading and ordering..... Currently, the water is nowhere near a green swamp. Yes, pump is repairable, working on that now. Start filtering immediately? Thanks Again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mpacheco: About as far away from you as I could possibly be and still be in Texas. About 5 miles from Louisiana ; Waskom.
Current test equipment that came w Intex pool : 3 way dip and read ( Free Chlorine, pH and Total Alkalinity) as well as Copper.

Filling w fresh water to get above filter inlet so I can begin filtering.

Good news about the pump!

You can safely add enough chlorine tonight once the pump is going to bring the pool to shock level and probably lessen the green stink at least, although shocking really does require a test kit. You can wing it if you've got a pool store handy to do testing, a friend or neighbor with a FAS-DPD test, or if you're willing to do some creative dilution with an OTO chlorine test kit (assuming you have one). Once you get your test though, you'll realize how in the dark you were while winging it.

Since you have not added anything yet, we can assume there is no CYA in it. You're going to need that to be around 70ppm once you get the SWG running, but for now only add enough to get to 30, maybe 40ppm (Texas, right?). Tonight, you can add bleach to shock level for 0ppm CYA (use pool calculator for your volume - you're going to be aiming for 10ppm). Tomorrow, add the 30-40ppm CYA in a sock and when it's all dispersed, then assume you have the amount your intended to add (if you calculated properly - measure your water depth - don't rely on mfr's gallonage estimate) and follow the CYA/CL from pool calculator for an adjusted shock level (it'll be higher than 10ppm but it depends on CYA).

Plan to run to the pool store a couple times tomorrow for testing if you do decide to begin shocking. You want to maintain shock levels all day, but sunlight will burn it all off without CYA so do get that in that right away.

Walmart's CYA (stabilizer) disperses rapidly, and often shows on a test before a week has passed but don't bother testing that till you're ready to add more CYA and start the SWG. 30-40 will be fine for now and will save you a little on bleach.

Finally received the correct part. Ran pump for 12 hours and added 3.5 cups of bleach. Water looks much better but bottom, ladder, etc still have green slime. My TF test kit has also arrived. I plan to vacuum and run pump for another 12 hours as I reread pool school, break out the test kit and follow frogabog's procedure from above. Any advise?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.