bubbles on the pool surface...

Pool_Fool

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 24, 2012
Lynchburg, VA
Two nights ago I shocked a 22,000 gallon pool with Clorox bleach. I went from a 3 to a 15 and now there are bubbles everywhere. There is a fountain but I have since turned that off. It does have a natural gas heater also. The pool is balanced. So where are the stinking bubbles coming from? This pool had never done this before the Clorox shock, and yes it was regular bleach.
Any help here would be appreciated.
TIA

PF

Bubbles are a result of some kind of surfactant in the water. The most common ones are soap/detergent and organic oils from pollen or algae. In either case chlorine will break them down but that can sometimes take a while.

Cl 2.0
Alk 95
Ph 7.4
Cya 30
Ch 225
I shocked the pool because there were small patches of algae forming in Few of the corners.

By "take a while" what timeframe should I be expecting?
would you suggest a anti foam product or just shock again?

When I opened my pool this year and started shocking, there were a lot of bubbles as well. Just as JasonLion said, the chlorine will break the surfactant down. In my case, it took about a week. I do not recall having the bubbles previous years. It was a mystery.

Pool_Fool said:
Thought... Any chance the new Clorox "splash-less" formula may have something to do with the bubbles?
Seems too be much thicker.
Yes, stay away from the splash-less, it has some additives. Either way what you need to do is the shockng process...it is a process and not a one time event. Read this poolschool article on the shocking process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Pool_Fool said:
Thank you mod.
I understand the shocking process, what I didn't understand was the bubbles on the surface and I was hoping to get some clarification on that before I moved forward.

Are you sure?

Shocking is not just bringing the pool up to shock level once. It's raising it and keeping it there until it passes an OCLT, the water looks good, and you have .5 or less cc. Your posts are ambiguous on that.

You can read more about it in pool school, the button at the top right of the page.

Very probably the splash less bleach caused it, stick with regular un scented plain ole bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is not a new problem. Clorox has had splash-less, outdoor, and other specialty versions for quite some time. You want Clorox Regular that doesn't have any of those other terms and you'll also recognize it because it not only says it has 6% sodium hypochlorite in the ingredients list, but also says "5.7% Available Chlorine" on the bottle.

Clorox Regular Bleach -- the right stuff
Clorox Germicidal Bleach -- the right stuff
Clorox Scented Bleach -- the wrong stuff because it has scent chemicals
Clorox Splash-less Bleach -- the wrong stuff because it has thickeners that can foam
Clorox Outdoor Bleach -- the wrong stuff because it has thickeners that can foam
Clorox High Efficiency Bleach -- the wrong stuff because it has thickeners that can foam

It is a new problem when you have never even used bleach in a pool. But it is one I will surely never make again.
I have purposefully stayed away from the scented and special brands, but never even thought that a "splash-less" type would be a problem. By the way the pool is crystal clear passing The overnight test.
And No more bubbles.
... Now maybe someone will learn from my mistake and not make it too.

As always thanks for all your help.

PF

Yesterday I noticed I have surface bubbles in the pool.

Saturday was the first day I added the "concentrated" bleach ( Great Value Bleach 8.25% sh, yields 7.86% Available chlorine, purchased from Walmart) It's not splashless, I didn't notice bubbles that day.

Sunday the PB crew came and added my start-up salt (Aqua Salt) I'm not sure how many bags they added. I will call today and find out. I have had the pool pump running ever since then. The green light on the SWGC was flashing yesterday, this morning it is a solid green.

Today I have "bubbles" floating on top of the water. Not scummy bubbles, just bubbles that dissipate about 3 feet out from the bubbler, the spa overspill and the waterfall.

Water temp is 77 degrees.
FC 8.5
TC 8.5
PH 7.8
TA 70
CH 375
CYA 58 (ish)

Any thoughts on the bubbles?

Bama Rambler said:
Find out everything they've added.

It's normal for the swg to produce tiny bubbles from the outflows but they dissipate pretty quickly. Are they small bubbles?

I have a call in to the store..

These bubbles aren't small, like I would expect gas bubbles to look like... pics below.

Thank you for responding!

Attachments

• photo-20.JPG
    photo-20.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 446
  • photo-21.JPG
    photo-21.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 372
OK, nothing added but salt. They did spray a "sealer" on the coping and rocks before they added the salt. Do you think the sealer may have caused the bubbles?

Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.